Routes Ideas - Strachur/Glenbranter area

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Routes Ideas - Strachur/Glenbranter area

Post by samwise »

Hi All,

We have a week away planned (fingers crossed) in Feb an will be staying near Strachur.

Plan to do some winter hiking but will probably throw in the MTBs. Does anyone have any experience of any good areas to explore by bike? Casual day rides :-bd

Cheers,
Sam
fatbikephil

Re: Routes Ideas - Strachur/Glenbranter area

Post by fatbikephil »

I've passed through a few times but usually on either the roads or the gravel roads, of which their are a lot. Down the west side of Loch Eck is nice and if you were to go right down to the bottom, round by Strone (this is an A road but is very quiet) and up by Loch long, there is a nice trail from Ardentinny to Carrick castle. As a return the Cowal way is a bit of a bog hop but may be worth it for a circuit as its not too long between fire roads.

Trailforks indicates some stuff above Glen branter of a downhill type but never done it.

Another nice circuit nearby is the old FC 'Red Route' from Ardgarten, although you could start it from the top of the rest and be thankful car park. This goes south from Argarten campsite on fire roads above Loch Long to a wee lochan (Corran) The route back north to Lochgoilhead is via the 'Dukes path' which is a nice made single track (it used to be a swamp). From Lochgoilhead there is a double track route back up to the R and b T with a fast descent down Glencroe back to the start. Fairly short although a diversion to Abysinnia bothy at the top of Glen Kinglass is worth a look.

Oh and watch out for ICBMs....
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Just over the loch from me. For MTB stuff there’s lots above Dunoon if you want to drive down. The stuff on Trailforks at glenbranter I haven’t ridden in ages but was pretty neglected last time I was down a few years ago. Lots of nice gravel rides and the road down the side of loch fyne to otter ferry is a nice cycle and not too busy.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Thanks for the hints. I think the gravel roads might be enough excitement for us anyway :grin: