Big Shakeout Routes?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Big Shakeout Routes?

Post by samwise »

Anyone heading to the Alpkit BSO this weekend?

Does anyone have any suggestions for MTB loops from the site at Thornbridge outdoors?

Cheers.
Sam
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Big Shakeout Routes?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll be there doing talks / workshops. The venue is bang on the side of the Monsal trail which while not exciting in itself is a reasonable corridor from which to explore.
May the bridges you burn light your way
samwise

Post by samwise »

I did spot your workshops! I'll see what I can come up with. I remember doing a good loop a few years ago when Alpkit shared some suggested routes.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

What sort of distance/climbing/duration?

If you head west on the Monsal Trail there's some decent loops from Millers Dale https://www.strava.com/routes/2875146945800938366

If yu wanted something a bit meatier you could head east through Bakewell then up onto Curbar/Froggat Edges and north up towards Hope Valley. Would be a big-ish day out. Something like this https://www.strava.com/routes/2875153061021104828
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak-distric ... biking.htm :grin:

I reckon these might cover the 'Greatest Hits' centred on Thornbridge. All could be done in half a day, but there's loads of tea shops n pubs n caffs n views, so I'd be making a day of it!

Thornbridge - road N to Great Longstone - road N/E to Longstone Edge - track E to High Rake - Deep Rake - track SW to Rowland - road SE to Hassop - BW SE to Pilsley - road S to Handley Lane - track E to Edensor - BW S to Calton Houses - BW S to Rowsley Moor Wood - BW SW to Haddon - Monsal Trail NW to Bakewell - Trail NW to Thornbridge.

Thornbridge - W along Monsal Trail - Millers Dale - road SW up Blackwell Dale - track S/SE to Priestcliffe - track W to New Barn - Brushfield - Monsal Dale - Monsal Trail E to Thornbridge

Thornbridge - road N to Great Longstone - road N to Longstone Edge - track E to Deep Rake - Northcliffe Plantation - track N to Calver - road W to Stoney Middleton - track NW up Mill Lane - Eyam - road N up Edge Road - track W to Sir William Hill - track NW to Nether Bretton - road SW to Bretton - road E to Highcliffe - track S to Eyam - road S to A623 - track S to Black Harry Gate - track SE to Bleaklow - track S to Rowland - road W to Great Longstone - road S to Thornbridge

Thornbridge - east along Monsal Trail - Bakewell - road NW to Thornbridge Brewery - sleep it off next to River Wye - track N to Holme Hall - bridleway N to Monsal Trail - Thornbridge

Penn'orth :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
samwise

Post by samwise »

Cheers everyone. Very helpful! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Andy's is a nice extension to my second one (which is quite short - an evening maybe). But there's a couple of sections on that which are rather better done in a particular direction IMHO. Maybe give it a try and see if you agree or not :smile: . It'll be a superb ride whichever you do!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

samwise

Post by samwise »

Alpkit/Komoot did come up with a few suggestions in the end!

https://www.komoot.com/collection/13197 ... t-festival
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit r0ady those :wink: . Where did you ride to in the end? Nice time at the festie? Catch Stu's stageshow?

samwise

Post by samwise »

Ended up riding the Dragons Back route as switched to the gravel bike last minute due to brake issues on the Krampus! :sad:

Didn't catch the Stu show but It was a good weekend none the less. They made some nice improvements to the layout of the site etc. Shame some of the evening talks clashed as I would have like to hear all of them.