I’m after 3 day route suggestions

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robsmuddygloves

I’m after 3 day route suggestions

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Hello all, I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve been on a few bikepacking trips and next year me and my biking mate are planning on going on a three night trip. It has to wait till next Easter as he’s just become a dad again. So what I’m asking for is any really good UK based 3 nighter routes with an emphasis on off road, I’m not a big fan of being on roads anymore. Less interested in total distance covered, much more interested in interesting terrain, be it forests, mountains, anything as long as it’s more interesting than the flatlands of the fens which I call home. Pretty broad remit, any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers :-bd
TheBrownDog

Re: I’m after 3 day route suggestions

Post by TheBrownDog »

How about the Kinder Loop in the Peaks? I did it about 3-4 years back in a very easy 3 days. It was way-marked too, so navigation was a doddle. Some rugged stuff but loads of bivvy spots and cafes and pubs on the route.

http://www.peakhorsepower.co.uk/kinder-loop/4564966794

For something less relaxed, Luke on here has been building a Dartmoor 200 route that would kill me if I tried to do it in three days, but maybe not you and your mates.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20157
I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

For a relaxed three day route you could start with any of the 200km or 300km routes on selfsupported.net. They'll all have some road, just the nature of how our RoWs have developed.

After that: The King Alfred Way (did this earlier this year - see the trip reports section) or the Lomond/Trossachs loop (sean_iow and htrider have done this). The Wild About Argyll trail is probably a bit much for three leisurely days but it's very easy to cut bits out to make it shorter. Start from Arrochar rather than Helensburgh as the bottom section is less interesting (the final bit mostly follows the A82 down by Loch Lomond)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:05 pm How about the Kinder Loop in the Peaks? I did it about 3-4 years back in a very easy 3 days. It was way-marked too, so navigation was a doddle. Some rugged stuff but loads of bivvy spots and cafes and pubs on the route.

http://www.peakhorsepower.co.uk/kinder-loop/4564966794

For something less relaxed, Luke on here has been building a Dartmoor 200 route that would kill me if I tried to do it in three days, but maybe not you and your mates.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20157
This soundeth really really good thanks kind sir. How hard is it compared to something like the Mary Townley Loop. Does it certainly need more than a day to get round (if non bikepacking for example). Kinder was really lovely when I last visited (quite alot of HAB to get to the actual funny rock thingies).
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive not done the Mary Townley loop so can't compare them. The Kinder could easily be done in a day. A couple of guys ran it in 8.30hrs this year, though Im not sure how much fun that would be. The link below has some more detail and I'm starting to think I might give it another go.

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/kind ... ed-kingdom
I'm just going outside ...
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll check them out today. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:15 am Ive not done the Mary Townley loop so can't compare them. The Kinder could easily be done in a day. A couple of guys ran it in 8.30hrs this year, though Im not sure how much fun that would be. The link below has some more detail and I'm starting to think I might give it another go.

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/kind ... ed-kingdom
Let me know when. I might join you at the start line to attempt it myself. Doing in a day is always fun :grin:
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Transcambrian? More of an easy three days* than three nights (if you know what I mean) but easy to extend a bit. If you've never been to that neck of the woods it is quite wild and amazing..

* or a short afternoon ride if you're MattP