Bikes on buses in Scotland.... good news

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Bikes on buses in Scotland.... good news

Post by Martin B »

Following on from Borderer's topic on 'not the HT 550' and ScotRoutes reply re HITRANS partnership with Stagecoach/citylink.
See here:
https://www.hitrans.org.uk/News/Story/1260

I emailed both HITRANS and stagecoach to thank them for their partnership. i had previously had a trip rescued by an emergency transit on a Stagecoach MegaBus and the service from the driver was great.

I got this reply from Vikki at HITRANS and thought it would be worth sharing here;

Hello Martin!

Thank you for getting in touch. It’s always nice to have our efforts appreciated!

We’re currently working with West Coast Motors to install bike racks inside buses on routes serving Mull, Campbeltown and Ardrishaig in Argyll & Bute (like the Borders Bike Friendly Buses). I wish all the bus operators were as forward-thinking as WCM. The bike socks on the selected Citylink services are a great start, and we’re hoping to be able to roll the offer out to all Citylink services once we iron out any kinks in the pilot. It would be good to be able to reserve a bike space too, which I’m sure would be possible if there was a small ticketing fee for the bike; we’ll keep working on that!

In the meantime, please do continue to contact the different bus operators and express your desire to take your bike on the bus; at the moment they don’t seem to have a way of measuring demand so it’s easy to say there is none (clearly the Borders Bus and West Coast Motors endeavours are disproving that).

Happy cycling!

Kind regards,

Vikki

I'd encourage people to do what i'm doing and email the bus operators and show a desire to use their service to transport you and your bike, and to email the operators that do offer this service and thank them for doing so.

Martin
Borderer

Re: Bikes on buses in Scotland.... good news

Post by Borderer »

Well done Martin.

Yes as she says, the Border Buses X95 Carlisle-Edinburgh service and the X62 Galashiels to Edinburgh via Peebles service allow you to carry bikes for free with no booking required.