North Pennines

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Flux

North Pennines

Post by Flux »

Hi all, I'm fresh to the forums and looking for a single night route in the North Pennines in a couple of weeks. Although Id like to think otherwise I'm probably at best moderately fit Would consider either MTB or Gravel routes

Im travelling up from Nottingham and being joined by a friend from Edinburgh. We're considering meeting around Barnard castle as it seems like a good mid way point for us both but I'm happy to be corrected by those with more experience.
thenorthwind

Re: North Pennines

Post by thenorthwind »

I would head up Teesdale and up to the back side of High Cup Nick, briefly down into the Eden Valley and back up and over Cross Fell and over the Hexhamshire Moors. I say this because I planned something similar earlier this year and still plan to do it as an overnighter from the train at Darlington - would be finishing in Newcastle, but you could easily make it into a loop back to BC (maybe via Hamsterley Forest?) or to the train at Chester-le-Street or Durham. Plenty of old railway lines in that area to link up.

Cross Fell, etc. would definitely be MTB territory, of the old school XC type and probably with some pushing.

Sorry if this is a bit vague... Don't want to take the fun bit away from you though :wink:
Flux

Post by Flux »

Thanks, Teesdale was on the radar as was High Cup Nick. We definitely need a loop, and I was considering overnighting near cow green reservoir but I'm a bit nervous about it being too close a road there
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

High Cup nick is stunning and really not to be missed. Conditions up there amazing at the moment too.

As for cow Green, it is very popular with camper vans. We were going to bivvy there a few weeks back but passed a shooting hut open with a fire and wood. Really welcome on a cold night. Here 54.682565,-2.319403

But also going west from cow green towards high Cup nick there is loads of lovely bivvy spots west of the farm.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

There is also greggs hut of course.

54.712821,-2.48143
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 am I would head up Teesdale and up to the back side of High Cup Nick, briefly down into the Eden Valley and back up and over Cross Fell and over the Hexhamshire Moors. I say this because I planned something similar earlier this year and still plan to do it as an overnighter from the train at Darlington - would be finishing in Newcastle, but you could easily make it into a loop back to BC (maybe via Hamsterley Forest?) or to the train at Chester-le-Street or Durham. Plenty of old railway lines in that area to link up.

Cross Fell, etc. would definitely be MTB territory, of the old school XC type and probably with some pushing.

Sorry if this is a bit vague... Don't want to take the fun bit away from you though :wink:
That indeed is a lovely route, I've done it many times. Clockwise is best as having High Cup Nick opening up in front it you is a sight to behold but you pay for it with a long push up to Cross Fell and definitely an MTB route.

Cow Green has lots of good bivi spots but some parts are areas of significant scientific interest due to rare flora so those should be avoided. Camp on the path and you should be ok.

Greg's Hut is an MBA bothy so is still shut.

The bridleway across Cronkley Fell to Cow Green is doable but slow going. At least it was 30 years ago.

To the south of High Cup Nick is a tempting looking downhill track with a bridleway leading to it from Cow Green but don't be tempted. The bridleway is a bikehike nightmare of waist deep heather and hidden boggy gullies.