Software for editing gpx files

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mikejd

Software for editing gpx files

Post by mikejd »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a website that I can upload gpx files to then edit them. I think I used to be able to do this with gpsies.com but that is no longer available. I want to be able to split a gpx file and join with another. I know this is technically possible by editing the xml code in the file but I'd rather have a visual interface.
ScotRoutes

Re: Software for editing gpx files

Post by ScotRoutes »

Garmin Basecamp if you're happy with using a program rather than a website.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

@scotroutes
Thanks for the suggestion. slight difficulty is that I don't normally use Windows. My desktop and laptop do dual boot Linux/Windows but I haven't used Windows for years. If I don't find something else I could try this.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Try https://gpxstudio.github.io/ and see how you get on.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

@K1100T
Had a quick look at that. Looks promising for what I'm looking for. A bit of practice and I think I can use it. Thanks
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:11 pm Try https://gpxstudio.github.io/ and see how you get on.
This looks brilliant! Have been looking for a free replacement for gpxeditor.co.uk which does a lot of the same stuff, but requires a subscription for the useful stuff (multiple tracks, OS maps) now. Cheers
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've only used it the once, when I needed to stitch two GPX track files and a GPX Waypoint file together. I normally just stick everything into RideWithGPS, but features like that are paid for, which is how I stumbled across it. Let's us know how you get on with it...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

@K1100T
I am trying to build a gpx file for a long route from bits of other rides. In gpxstudio I can upload individual files and crop out the sections I need and can open multiple tracks at the same time. Haven't quite got the hang of merging these into one track yet, but, hopefully, just a question of practice.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am I've only used it the once, when I needed to stitch two GPX track files and a GPX Waypoint file together. I normally just stick everything into RideWithGPS, but features like that are paid for, which is how I stumbled across it. Let's us know how you get on with it...
The "+" button on the toolbar on the left allows you to merge tracks. Select one track "tab" at the bottom, click "+", click the other track tab.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Thanks @thenorthwind
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

If you are using a Garmin device to provide turn-by-turn instructions, you need to be wary of creating a route that exceeds the number of waypoints that your device supports, per route.
For my Etrex 35, it's 40, so longer, or fiddlier, routes usually have to be split up.
Name each route in sequence (Dales1,Dales2 etc) and they should be easy to find, as you finish each stage