Saint Malo-Hondarribia on EV1

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PacoJones

Saint Malo-Hondarribia on EV1

Post by PacoJones »

Hi all,

Been a keen cyclist for 40 plus years but a bit of a newbie as far as longer distance stuff goes.

I'm planning to meet my cousin in Brittany mid-September (Covid permitting, of course) and then we'll cycle down to Hondarribia just over the Spanish border at which point he'll carry on to Murcia and I'll head to Santander and get the ferry back to Portsmouth.

We'll be using EV1 for most of the route, though probably taking a more direct option where it loops off on cycle-friendly but long detours, and then rejoin it later. We'll use campsites primarily, maybe the odd hotel when camping isn't an option.

Anyone have any experience of that route, recommendations on campsites, that kind of thing? Or any recommendations generally for a novice?

Thanks!
PacoJones

Re: Saint Malo-Hondarribia on EV1

Post by PacoJones »

Nothing at all?

Since the original post, I picked up a good condition Bob Yak trailer as none of my bikes have rack bosses or are rated to carry more weight than I am already, erm, carrying.

So FFS, don't tell me that doing this route with a single wheel trailer is a total no-no.. :grin:
javatime

Post by javatime »

Whilst someone here may have done the EV1 route, you might also try the Cycling UK Forum. I think it has a specific area for European tours.
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Good idea, I'll take a look, thank you.
ton

Post by ton »

hello mate
me and my wife cycled back from Biarritz a couple of year ago. we used the velodyssee route all the way back to Nantes, then riverside and canal side paths back to St Malo.

we hardly touched a road the whole route. the surfaces of the forest tracks below La Rochelle we all very good the tarmac paths further north.

a single wheel trailer will be fine. there are no gates or barriers to handle.

as for camping, we passed lots along the way, many set in nice forested locations, and most with outdoor swimming pools,
the route is very quiet once away from the few town it passes through. wild camping would be ideal.

a quick foodie tip. if you like sea food, the oysters at Marennes are probably the best in the world.

it is a trip we will do again.
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Thanks Ton,

Much appreciated - I know some areas on the route but there's plenty I don't. We may hit a bit more road riding than you as we aim to take the direct route at certain points rather than follow the EV1s more meandering sections.

I'll have a look at Marennes for lunch or dinner!
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Excellent, thanks, that's great info, and done with a BOB Yak trailer as well! Not too shabby for a 12 year-old either, can't imagine my kids jumping at the chance for a trip like that.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

You'll do much better without the trailer if you can manage it. There were quite a few gates and also some lifts to access bridges that made it a real pain to travel with. If it's all you have then it can be done though.

It was Joe's first big trip - we started off very slowly and only had a target of 10 miles a day, which proved far too conservative. By the end he was doing 40 miles in a day and then getting up next morning and happily doing it again. It took a bit of building up to though.
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Thanks for the extra info, I wasn't aware of any gates or lifts. Either way, I have to take the trailer as I can't put panniers on my bikes as they have no rack bosses and are already close to the recommended weight limit just with me on them.

The alternative would be to buy another bike and fit it with racks and panniers, but as another bike would lead to divorce, I'll go with the trailer this time. :grin:

I just bought a couple of small things from Joe's shop, BTW, to help him with his deposit!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

PacoJones wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:15 pm Thanks for the extra info, I wasn't aware of any gates or lifts. Either way, I have to take the trailer as I can't put panniers on my bikes as they have no rack bosses and are already close to the recommended weight limit just with me on them.

The alternative would be to buy another bike and fit it with racks and panniers, but as another bike would lead to divorce, I'll go with the trailer this time. :grin:

I just bought a couple of small things from Joe's shop, BTW, to help him with his deposit!
Thank you :-bd
I'd recommend going for bikepacking luggage rather than the trailer or panniers, but you might just have to live through the pain of both of those before you agree with me :wink:
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Noted, thanks! I looked at bikepacking kit but I still have to keep within the weight limit of my bike, and on this trip I have to work en route so will be carrying a large laptop, power lead, and so on, so at least it will all go in the trailer easily enough.