Route advice: Black mountain/Black mountains

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

Route advice: Black mountain/Black mountains

Post by atk »

I've just built up a Black Mountain Cycles Road+ and, naturally, I want to take down into Wales later in the year (when safe/sensible to do so) for a ride round/between/over/??? both the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains.

I've started doing some research and seen Jack T's Lost Lanes route 'Around the Black Hill', Cass's Black Mountain Crossing as well as turning up a longer road route Tour of the Black Mountains. Riding both, as in the latter, is more what I'm after but with a bit more fireroad/double track to spice things up. I don't mind a bit of bogtrotting if necessary, just looking for something to match some of Mike's riding around the Black Mountain, CA.

If anyone's done something similar, or has any suggestions of how to link this up they'd be very much appreciated. I'll start working on the route sometime next week and share when I've got a few drafts together.
javatime

Re: Route advice: Black mountain/Black mountains

Post by javatime »

Looks good...You might be interested in including some parts of the Black Mountain Classic below.

http://traildata.co.uk/trail/black-mountains-classic/

I took the lower bridleway at the Hermitage, that brings you to a good bivvy spot where the bridleway crosses the river just beyond.

Pretty much all rideable and downhill from the bothy at Grwyne Fawr to the road, then good forestry tracks take you uphill through Mynyddu Du forest almost to the summit of Crug Mawr.

Stuart's Offas Bike route has a nice section around here, but it takes you in the opposite direction, east out of the mountains towards Stanton.

PM me your E mail address if you want the routes I actually followed, my variation had more on the gravel roads in Mynyddu Du
sterobe

Post by sterobe »

Let's see the Black Mountain Road+ build!
underwater basket weaver
Verena

Post by Verena »

atk wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:38 am I've just built up a Black Mountain Cycles Road+ and, naturally, I want to take down into Wales later in the year (when safe/sensible to do so) for a ride round/between/over/??? both the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains.

I've started doing some research and seen Jack T's Lost Lanes route 'Around the Black Hill', Cass's Black Mountain Crossing as well as turning up a longer road route Tour of the Black Mountains. Riding both, as in the latter, is more what I'm after but with a bit more fireroad/double track to spice things up. I don't mind a bit of bogtrotting if necessary, just looking for something to match some of Mike's riding around the Black Mountain, CA.

If anyone's done something similar, or has any suggestions of how to link this up they'd be very much appreciated. I'll start working on the route sometime next week and share when I've got a few drafts together.
Hi, looks like you've got quite a lot covered there in those links...Blimey in the "Black Mountain Crossing" the "bridleway" over across the Black Mountain is quite something....I've only ever walked around there, and "faint path" "boggy" and "challenging to navigate" is putting it mildly....of course that was before the days of GPS and being able to just follow a line on a device...
Generally, I would say, The Black Mountains to the East I don't know at all well, but there seem to be heaps of fire roads etc.
The actual Brecon Beacons, well most people know what's there, and you've already got that covered.
I'd highly recommend the middle Fforest Fawr area generally - much quieter, and lots of good riding there https://www.fforestfawrgeopark.org.uk/
Black Mountain in the West you've got well and truly covered.
Leaves just a little bit to the West. There's the Brynamman road over the top, and to the West of that are some pretty lanes, Carreg Cennen Castle and a few interesting bits and bobs. There is the Cycle across the Beacons route, and the section from Brecon to Llandeilo is nice (all on lanes, nothing off road) https://www.breconbeacons.org/things-to ... he-beacons

Looking forward to seeing the finished route, and photos when you've done it!
atk

Post by atk »

Thank you all! I'm looking forward to a few evenings pouring over these maps. Found a couple of RSF routes down that way too, think Cass's route follows those but I'll work in what I can.

Photos of the Black Mountain when I finally get round to cutting the steerer :roll:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

From the links you have shared, most looks good. I would raise a point of caution about the section from Dan yr Ogof over to Llandeusant. It is really vague, with no track on the ground on a large part.

Also, the track up to Llyn y Fan is steep and loose. The view at the top is nice, but I would only do it if you expect a long walk and don't mind doing that, otherwise just skip it.

Pick a clear day and enjoy the amazing views.