Hyddgen valley/Hengwm - a question

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

Hyddgen valley/Hengwm - a question

Post by directdrive »

I know this area is familiar to many people here and some seem to be familiar with the history of the area (battle, buildings etc.) so thought I'd ask as I've always wondered. Probably my favourite local area for riding and exploring.

Going up to Hyddgen valley North from Nant y Moch, you come to the river crossings and the small footbridge. If you look right/east along the valley, on the near bank there's what appears to be a plantation of conifers, a regular rectangle fenced within a dry stone wall.

Always wondered what the purpose of that was. Any ideas? I know there were various farms up there so I assume agricultural. Is it just a tree plantation?

In the interests of jogging memories you can see what I'm talking about here, to the right of the scene: https://backpackingbongos.files.wordpre ... c02162.jpg

and here, in the centre. https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-track ... 56235.html

Might be a stupid question but I've always been curious.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Hyddgen valley/Hengwm - a question

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a sheep pen / enclosure. The trees are self seeded and were never meant to be there. I've a picture somewhere taken in the 70's and there's no trees at all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Interesting, cheers for the definitive answer. Always struck me as incongruous.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I used to organise Trailquest mountainbike orienteering events in this area and the 2001 event coincided with the 600th aniversary of the Battle of Hyddgen Moor, it was a key event in the fight between Owain Glyndwr and the English army. A book on the subject had been written by Ian Fleming (not that one) and published by YLolfa in Talybont where a mate worked. He liberated a number of copies for me which were given as prizes. https://www.ylolfa.com/products/9780862 ... st-victory
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

I'm going to be up in the area this weekend and plan to have a look for the cairn to the north at Mynydd Bychan which legend suggests contains the battle dead. Might pick up a copy of that book.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm going to be up in the area this weekend and plan to have a look for the cairn to the north at Mynydd Bychan which legend suggests contains the battle dead. Might pick up a copy of that book.
The hill / slope to the south(ish) of the river is known as 'Hill of the dead'.

If you cross the river and head north(ish) along the stone track for 200yds or so, then turn right off the track and up the hillside, you'll find a slightly odd flat area. It can't really be seen from below and academics often believe that it's here the Welsh hid and were able to ambush the English (actually they were mainly Flemish) and beat them although heavily out numbered.

Legend has it that after the battle, Glyndwr rode to the top of Plynlimon and his horses hooves were so hot that they left prints in the rock. If you look carefully and waste a few hours, it is possible to find the rock in question.

Just be careful with the book as some of the GR mentioned are arse about face.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Ace info, cheers. I'll snoop around there!
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've slept in that sheep enclosure....had no idea it was self seeded :shock:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just be careful with the book as some of the GR mentioned are arse about face.
PMSL :grin: at kettle calling pot black
Any recent WRT refs in the Irish Sea?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

PMSL :grin: at kettle calling pot black
Any recent WRT refs in the Irish Sea?
Hey, I was simply saying be careful ... I wasn't knocking him. It's a mistake usually made by those with high levels of intelligence and a large penis I believe :wink: