Lake District advice

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Melo

Lake District advice

Post by Melo »

Hi guys it's my first post, a big hello to everyone first. Very nice forum.
I'm planning to follow a route, around June on my own, which is quite the same of this https://bikepacking.com/routes/lakeland-200-uk/. Never been in the Lakes before. I was thinking to ride just half section from Penrith to Windermere anticlockwise in 3 or 4 days. Any recommendation is more than welcome! Cheers
TheBrownDog

Re: Lake District advice

Post by TheBrownDog »

Welcome. Reg will be along shortly to warn you about the weirdness here. It can get pretty weird, what with all these middle aged men sleeping in ditches.

I've done a few bits of that route on day rides on full suspension MTBs. It's wonderful, but seriously brutal. You will be walking up a lot of the climbs and walking down a lot too if you don't have six inches front and back (Reg, I will leave that for you there)

Don't let that stop you though. That particular part of the world is among my mostest favouritest and you won't regret time spent there whether riding or walking.
I'm just going outside ...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Melo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:59 pm Hi guys it's my first post, a big hello to everyone first. Very nice forum.
I'm planning to follow a route, around June on my own, which is quite the same of this https://bikepacking.com/routes/lakeland-200-uk/. Never been in the Lakes before. I was thinking to ride just half section from Penrith to Windermere anticlockwise in 3 or 4 days. Any recommendation is more than welcome! Cheers
Hi Melo. That's a deliberately tough ride in a few places, it's designed to be a hard time trail route and doesn't necessarily lend itself to leisurely touring.

If you're looking to get a taste of the scenery, terrain and riding you might be better trying one of the Jenn Ride routes in my opinion, something like this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21270382
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:35 pm Welcome. Reg will be along shortly to warn you about the weirdness here. It can get pretty weird, what with all these middle aged men sleeping in ditches.
Yep big welcome to the madhouse. Did you hear the door slam behind you? MWA-HAHAHA-HA-HAAAA!
six inches front and back
When they dished them out I opted to join front and back together so it's just the 12" at the front for me Tim :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Welcome!

The Lakes 200 is probably the toughest of the UK 200km routes, there's quite a bit of hike-a-bike.

Generally the BWs in the central part of the Lakes are pretty full on. Things get more rideable out on the fringes. There's a decent network in the South Lakes as taken by Andy's suggestion of one of the JennRides. Going steady it's a couple of day's riding but easy to mix and match the variations.

Bivy spots are easy to come by once you get up above the intake (lower fields), there are obviously some spots that are a bit busy and best avoided.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Welcome to the forum
As above its a big ride with some serious riding both up and down but it depends on what you have ridden before hand ; it would not be what I would advise for someone to try as their first lakeland ride

South lakes - as the Jenn ride above - is far more pleasant and a little easier on the legs and not quite as technical as other parts of the lakes plenty of resupply that way as well- not as isolated either
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Would echo above but it depends where you're coming from - if it's a mountain biking background and proper tech on big hills is what you like, the Lakeland 200 is great. But if it's your first time bikepacking, I'd want to try something a bit simpler first just to get riding loaded and kit faffing sorted. Do an overnighter local to whereever you are.

Then the Jennride routes are a great resource, or look at the Lakeland 300 which is more "gravelly" (I believe, haven't done this route).

And welcome :grin:
Melo

Post by Melo »

Wow! What a warm welcome!! Many thanks guys for all the advices. Very helpful. I’m kind of new in the bikepacking, living in London I only did few rides like south and north down way and a 4 days in Isle of Wight, always wild camp. You’re right guys maybe the thing to do it’s to follow some of the routes linked above. It’ll be more suitable for my legs and more enjoyable. Gonna start research....Thanks everyone :grin:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:06 am or look at the Lakeland 300 which is more "gravelly" (I believe, haven't done this route).
Having done it once and bailed twice, I wouldn't describe the Lakeland 300 as "gravelly" ! - It does have gravel and road sections but shares much of the Lakeland 200 route and includes the likes of Parkamoor, Walna Scar, Coffin Road, Garburn Pass etc:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3751831508
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

As above Lakeland 300 is better suited for what you're after - but not a gravel route. It misses out the real hike a bike sections of the 200 (which is best done without luggage, or with a bare minimum). From Penrith, I'd look to join L300 route at Pooley Bridge (or just above, at Moor Divock), prepared for a lengthy push up along High Street. Four days would make it fairly comfortable to get around the route and enjoy the scenery. You could follow the 300 back to Pooley Bridge and a return to Penrith, or from Keswick, ride the road along the back of Thirlmere (W side) and the cycle lane over Dunmail Raise, then bridleways around the W side of Grasmere and Rydal, Ambleside, to Windermere. Early escapes to Windermere are straightforward from Coniston or Duddon. Message me for more detail or other ideas if you like.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Welcome to the forum!

All I can say is, expect it to be bumpy and a whole load of fun!

We'd love to see you at Jennride, do an overnighter in your garden or a friend's garden, or a graveyard to dial in your kit choice.

if you are wondering if you'll be warm enough, head outside in your kit, sit down and wait.

Looking forward to seeing pictures!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Welcome to the forum Melo

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:34 pm
Looking forward to seeing pictures!
Good luck with that. There's an e-learning section for it :grin: