West Yorkshire/Yorkshire locals able to comment on this route?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

West Yorkshire/Yorkshire locals able to comment on this route?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Easier version of the West Yorkshire Cycle Route. I believe the person thats made it has managed to leave out any gravelly/muddy/busy road sections. Plan is to ride around West Yorks, not enter the other territories and be home in time for pizza (or bivvy.. probably not cos I'm rather soft).

If I could flatten out as much (looks like the maker has left out Shibden, the nice person) as possible it could become a nice little epic ride from home with as little mud as poss..

Comments or ammendments appreciated https://www.strava.com/routes/2769996882563413252 and if you manage to suggest a detour that doesn't travel upwards and has some amazing scenery then all the better.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge/knowhow
Jay_ACWR

Re: West Yorkshire/Yorkshire locals able to comment on this route?

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Hi mate looks a pretty straightforward route, there are some drags tho. The climb out of Bingley up to Cullingworth & Denholme and then up through Mixenden but yes, no Shibden. When you doing it, I can have a better look on my pc ✌🏼
Don’t die wondering...
redefined_cycles

Jay_ACWR wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:14 pm Hi mate looks a pretty straightforward route, there are some drags tho. The climb out of Bingley up to Cullingworth & Denholme and then up through Mixenden but yes, no Shibden. When you doing it, I can have a better look on my pc ✌🏼
Thanks Jay. I was thinking some time very soon. Maybe this next couple of weeks or middle of Jan. Yes, Shibden thankfully been edited out (not intentional off course). Been trying to make it less draggy than the official West Yorkshire Cycle Route and hopefully if I depart super early and limit too many breaks I should be back home before too long.

Really appreciate your time...
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Dude sorry I forgot to check, sorry! I’ll look over the weekend if that’s ok.
Don’t die wondering...
redefined_cycles

Jay_ACWR wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:04 pm Dude sorry I forgot to check, sorry! I’ll look over the weekend if that’s ok.
Not a problem Jay. I reckon I'll be trying this in Jan or Feb now due to time constraints. Whenever you get a chance :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hi here's my two'penn'th
.. I think it may be more interesting to go:

From Slaithwaite (pronounced Slawit) go via Lingards Rd to Holt head, (via yewtree Lane, Lane&Dowry road & Moor lane, same road lots of name changes) this avoid Varley Rd, that is narrow & busy... But initially steeper & avoids awkward junction on Manchester Rd.. Also consider turning left out of slawit up to Manchester Rd via kiln lane. Better exit onto Manchester Rd...
Meltham to Holmfirth on B6107, via Wishaw road through Upperthong, (but miss going past Compo (Fishy chippie)
via Kirkburton than Highburton via Riley Lane, B6116 and Slant gate. It flatten that section and off the main road Drag.
see what you think.
slawit book a table at Anello Pizza to die for....
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:30 am Hi here's my two'penn'th
.. I think it may be more interesting to go:

From Slaithwaite (pronounced Slawit) go via Lingards Rd to Holt head, (via yewtree Lane, Lane&Dowry road & Moor lane, same road lots of name changes) this avoid Varley Rd, that is narrow & busy... But initially steeper & avoids awkward junction on Manchester Rd.. Also consider turning left out of slawit up to Manchester Rd via kiln lane. Better exit onto Manchester Rd...
Meltham to Holmfirth on B6107, via Wishaw road through Upperthong, (but miss going past Compo (Fishy chippie)
via Kirkburton than Highburton via Riley Lane, B6116 and Slant gate. It flatten that section and off the main road Drag.
see what you think.
slawit book a table at Anello Pizza to die for....
Amazing. Mates takeaway in slaythwait (lol... just messin.. i used to work there). Good points and noted
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

From slawit you could also follow Lingards Road to meet Chain Road B6107 to Holt Head.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 pm
Jay_ACWR wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:04 pm Dude sorry I forgot to check, sorry! I’ll look over the weekend if that’s ok.
Not a problem Jay. I reckon I'll be trying this in Jan or Feb now due to time constraints. Whenever you get a chance :-bd
Actually if you don’t mind and it helps, I think I’ll ride it and give some real time feedback, also taking @ledburners comments in too. Is that cool?
Don’t die wondering...
redefined_cycles

Jay_ACWR wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:00 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 pm
Actually if you don’t mind and it helps, I think I’ll ride it and give some real time feedback, also taking @ledburners comments in too. Is that cool?
Lol... thats amazing. I think the Royals have something similar but for food?? :lol: much appreciated. Make sure you get the most scenic route possible and if you take your route past Yaad Gaar takeaway in Slaithewaite (Slawit to keep the locals and Ledburner happy), you should be able to grab yourself an amazing value burger meal enroute (I'll be rerouting to go past his :grin: ).

Thanks (or did I say that already)...
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

So I rode this route, made a few changes around Huddersfield and had the worst headwind possible. Well ok, maybe not but it was brutal. I didn't carry on to Leeds, turning off at Cas as you know that bit i'm assuming and it works well but it is NOT FLAT! you want the amended route give me a shout but not much more to tinker with I would say all ok.
Don’t die wondering...
redefined_cycles

Jay_ACWR wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:20 pm So I rode this route, made a few changes around Huddersfield and had the worst headwind possible. Well ok, maybe not but it was brutal. I didn't carry on to Leeds, turning off at Cas as you know that bit i'm assuming and it works well but it is NOT FLAT! you want the amended route give me a shout but not much more to tinker with I would say all ok.
Thanks for that Jay. Yes please to the ammended route please sir. Headwind... lol. Was you out on Saturday by any chance on the Easterly quarters of Huddersfield. Should've tried to get past Had Edge :cry:

Really appreciate this btw. Yes, sorry to say but Huddersfield and areas, is hilly :smile:
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Yeah it’s my locale, I’m Halifax so I know it, the Easterly was brutal. I’ll send the GPX. Btw, yew tree Lane out of slawit, it’s a joy 🤩
Don’t die wondering...
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

https://www.komoot.com/tour/294439736?ref=wtd

let me know if you'd prefer strava, I cant post the GPX. Enjoy :-bd
Don’t die wondering...
redefined_cycles

Jay_ACWR wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:14 am https://www.komoot.com/tour/294439736?ref=wtd

let me know if you'd prefer strava, I cant post the GPX. Enjoy :-bd
Strava please Jay :-bd
Jay_ACWR

Post by Jay_ACWR »

Don’t die wondering...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Well done on missing most of the interesting bits of West Yorkshire ;)

Hebden Bridge local.
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:53 pm Well done on missing most of the interesting bits of West Yorkshire ;)

Hebden Bridge local.
My fault that Greg... I was trying to ensure I don't risk going off any West Yorkshire territories by mistake aswell as limiting the climbing (a bit, sorry :smile: )... What detour would you propose to get HB in there without going off road or busier roads... Thanks
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Honestly there isn't any easy flat way into here.
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:19 pm Honestly there isn't any easy flat way into here.
:lol: Honestly, that might be the reason why Strava didn't let me dial it in... :-bd Keep them nasty climbs, we dont want em :grin: