Northumbrian 200

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nicjh

Northumbrian 200

Post by nicjh »

Thinking of this route for the coming weekend... Anyone got any tips on best place to start this? Ie a good place to leave the van?
Any other comments on the route also welcome :-bd
Chicken Legs

Re: Northumbrian 200

Post by Chicken Legs »

I parked at a small car park just outside Stonehaugh, NE48 3DY.
The pub at Kielder Village was shut earlier in the year, might be worth checking.
The route is sparse of resupply make sure you have food with you.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

Cheers. I can carry food no problem. Just hoping water is not an issue
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We (my wife and I) tried it one Christmas - check the ride reports sub-forum - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11053&p=139960. There's really only the pubs at Byrness, Alwinton, Harbottle and Kielder (plus cafe) for resupply.

We parked up at Stonehaugh, no problem in leaving it there for a couple of nights.

Generally fast forestry tracks apart from the section between Spithope bothy along the border ridge and down to Alwinton which can be boggy, almost certainly at the moment. We had snow on top of bog with below zero temps, really hard going. You'll need to check that the Army ranges aren't in use. A gravel bike with something like 42c tyres would be fast on most of the route and not much slower on the border ridge.

Water won't be a problem :wink:
Last edited by whitestone on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

Thanks for that. I have the route on my Wahoo but struggling to get it to os maps so I cant yet see where the ranges are :???:
Need to find a proper gpx then I guess.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

nicjh wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:53 pm Thanks for that. I have the route on my Wahoo but struggling to get it to os maps so I cant yet see where the ranges are :???:
Need to find a proper gpx then I guess.
Basically the ranges run from once you get out of the forest climbing up from Harbottle all the way across until you begin the descent past Cottonshopehead.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

Bummer... just googled it and it seems they're playing out all day every day this weekend! 9am to 2am on Friday! And 9-5 Saturday. :roll: might have to be a total re think
Mike

Post by Mike »

U can cut out the ranges like me n mark did nic, basically when u get to Alwinton take the barrow burn road north it follows the edge of the range to a carpark by the roman camp, climb back up and over into forest past spitehope bothy down onto road and pick route up again in forest near toilet block!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Chicken Legs wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:20 pm I parked at a small car park just outside Stonehaugh, NE48 3DY.
The pub at Kielder Village was shut earlier in the year, might be worth checking.
The route is sparse of resupply make sure you have food with you.
Yeah the Anglers' is still shut, or was when I was in Kielder a few weeks ago. There's a "pop up" restaurant (basically a posh burger van) in the car park by the castle.
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

Thanks for the tips folks :-bd