1000mile Plus Route discussions

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: 1000mile Plus Route discussions

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 pm ^ oh dear, am I a 3 year stuck record? :lol:
:lol:
I'll take responsibility for this one, drew you all in.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm curious if anyone is prepping for anything like this currently?

Ii would like to, but in reality this year I expect that my max's will be a little lower than this. I'd love to have a crack at some longer ones in the summer but lets see what the situation is.

Currently, I am a little devoid of energy. I seem to be able to 'ride around' for the day a reasonable distance (obviously staying close to home) but, if my watch is reading correctly I never pass 165bpm regardless of how hard I think I am trying.

Perhaps hydration, diet, sleep - all of which aren't going that great currently. Maybe I should focus on those 3 for a few weeks then see how the energy levels react.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Yes FLV prepping for a ride round the Coast at the moment. Boy this Island had a lot of coast 😜 Only thing keeping me sane is pouring over the maps and doing an hour a day on the hamster wheel in these times.
My body seems to have gone metric lately, where once I would consider 200 miles in a day and hit 20mph with friends I'm now very happy with even doing 200km and 20km/hr.

Not sure if you need to think about training/power/heart rate if you mentally enjoy riding for a long time. 10 hrs at 10 mph gets you a long way daily.
The old git in the yellow socks
slarge

Post by slarge »

Dave - I think raising your heart rate outside in the cold is difficult - outside rides seem to be hard work at the moment and what seems to be a lower max heart rate doesn't help. On the turbo in the warm indoors though my heart rate is "normal" (max is about 185bpm).

Not sure what this means, but average speeds during the winter have always been lower than summer - I put this down to temperature, weather (is the air denser in winter??) and wearing more gear.

Jack - really interested in a round coast route - was googling that a few days ago as a project for the future. Doesn't appear to be a "thing" although a few blogs out there on it. Guy Martin had a crack at whatever record exists a few years ago but failed. You worked out how much climbing there is yet?
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Steve, I've got a route that a group doing "lap of my mind" for charity did a few years ago, 4900 miles and just over 98Km of climbing :grin: Have no intention of following that, I want to do every coastal track I can and ride on the sands. No rush and plenty of random dead ends for me.
There are so many options with ferries you could take its a very personal thing to plan, The route above has no ferries. PM me if you want the GPX
The old git in the yellow socks