Monks Trod byway above Elan

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Supernova

Monks Trod byway above Elan

Post by Supernova »

I'm planning a route around Elan and I like the look of this path (I much prefer going over, rather than round).

There doesn't seem to be much action on it on the heat maps I've looked at.

Has anyone ridden along it? I'm assuming it's a rutted, watery track that's a pain, but still passable - are my assumptions correct?

Does the thought of doing it on a 29x2.1 tyred gravel bike make you recoil in horror?

Whilst I've got your attention - how is the trail over Carnau from Beulah to the reservoir?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Monks Trod byway above Elan

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does the thought of doing it on a 29x2.1 tyred gravel bike make you recoil in horror?
It won't matter what bike or tyres you have because you'll be pushing a lot of it. If you join it directly from the reservoir track then the section to the river is proper tussock deathmarch.

A BB200 favourite. From the summit the track on the Elan side can be a bit vague in places ... as can the track on the other side. Not easy to navigate at night but fine in the daylight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

More like through it!

Saying this i once rode the whole lot with hux years ago and it was super dry!!
The last time I rode across/through it was with mr Barrington on the fat bikes and we managed to ride it all then but those tractor tires helped stay above the bog :wink: good luck its a nice route.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Saying this i once rode the whole lot with hux years ago and it was super dry!!
Yes, there is a portal that opens for a day once every 20 years but it doesn't help much with the tussock bit as demonstrated by Matt. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I think I’ll put both routes in my Garmin and take a view on the day.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Supernova wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:13 pm Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

I think I’ll put both routes in my Garmin and take a view on the day.
Have another route planned as well - you never know you might want it. Tis a bit wet out there at the moment!!!