Badger Divide start parking

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chambo82

Badger Divide start parking

Post by chambo82 »

Hi all :-) We are looking to do the Badger Divide at the end of October, driving up and parking somewhere in Glasgow, getting train upto Inverness then ride back to Glasgow. Thinking this may be good way of doing the ride without being tied to a set train time back to the car at the end.

A few quick questions if I may -

- Any recommendations where to leave car in Glasgow near to station to get train to Inverness?
- Also, is there a 'preferred' way of riding Badger Divide i.e Inverness - Glasgow or Glasgow to Inverness?
- Any recommendations for good stops along the route? Distilleries, good food stops etc?

Cheers

Mark
Martin B

Re: Badger Divide start parking

Post by Martin B »

My mate and I are heading up to Inverness at the start of October to do the Badger Divide. Luckily I stay in Glasgow so I'm just going to cycle in to Glasgow Queen Street.

Car parking wise the city centre is out unless you find somewhere to pay for a few days.
Don't park North or East of the City centre, I wouldn't want to be seen unloading bikes in Possil or Ruchill and leaving my car for a few days there.
You could park in the West End, it's mostly permit parking but there's an area around Kelvinside and the Kelvinside Academy that is free parking and it's quite an affluent area - think sandstone villas. It's where I park if I'm visiting the West End. I'd have no qualms leaving my car there for a few days. It's then a short cycle approx 3-4km along Great Western Road to the city centre and the train station.

As for cafes etc I made up a word document for my mate detailing the route, mileage, timings and food stops as he hadn't heard of the route. I'll see if I can attach it to a post or PM you it.