Normandy

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ballibeg

Normandy

Post by ballibeg »

Anyone have any travel experience to Normandy? I can't seem to be able to book bikes onto ferries and am considering taking my van over but where to park near Le Havre for a week?

It's not bikepacking but my 15 daughter keen so a Eurovelo 4 might be a nice intro and she's doing French higher so missing first week school no problem ...cough...... You learn more on a bike don't you????

Dave
Taylor

Re: Normandy

Post by Taylor »

Portsmouth to Caen was ok with Brittany ferries with bikes but that wasn't during CV-19
Chew

Post by Chew »

From experience it’s just easier to ring them up.

I’m sure many people would have taken bikes over last year as part of PBP
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Not able to book by phone either. No foot passengers or cyclists can book. Guess they're keeping the reduced passenger space for car users.

I expressed my disappointment that as a cyclist I was banned from travel in favour of cars.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

ballibeg wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am Anyone have any travel experience to Normandy? I can't seem to be able to book bikes onto ferries and am considering taking my van over but where to park near Le Havre for a week?

It's not bikepacking but my 15 daughter keen so a Eurovelo 4 might be a nice intro and she's doing French higher so missing first week school no problem ...cough...... You learn more on a bike don't you????

Dave
When are you going? I am in the same situation, and you can now book bike passengers for travel after 1st September.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I've another two weeks off start of September. Thanks for spotting the change. 😀 . With Spain now requiring 14 days quarantine at short notice I may rethink abroad.....
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I often take my van to France if there are a few of us and leave it on a campsite in what the French call a garage de mort or dead garage for €3 a night. They mostly advertise this option. Not usually available on a municipal but you can try cheers Peter
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Thanks Peter. I hadn't come across that term. Much appreciated,

Dave