Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - Surly ECR info required

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

steve.howard

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - Surly ECR info required

Post by steve.howard »

Hi guys, I've just joined - so be gentle with me ;)

As the title suggests I'm planning on riding the GDMBR next year (Coronavirus permitting). I have, sort of, decided that a well specced Surly ECR will be my iron horse of choice for the ride. Now I just have to find one!

Does anyone know of a Surly ECR (large) with Rohloff speedhub and decent components for sale. I've seen Chris's (from Kendal) ECR on ebay and its nearly perfect, but its a medium and at 6', with a 33" inside leg I suspect it is a bit too small for me.

Also, a supplementary question for those who ride/ridden an ECR, is the sizing that important. Could I get away with a medium as Chris's ECR has the spec I'm looking for.

I'm down in Dorchester, Dorset so if anyone lives this way and would let me sit on their ECR bike for a couple of minutes I'm sure that would be very useful. Cheers, Steve
Last edited by steve.howard on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnnystorm

Re: Great Divide Mountain Bike Route

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm 5' 11" and have owned a few Surlies and would always opt for a large frame myself.

You've got a while until the next TD season so perhaps no need to rush.

It's a fantastic route, I'd ride it again with no hesitation. :-bd
Last edited by johnnystorm on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

johnnystorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 pm I'm 5' 11" and have owned a few Surlies and would always opt for a large frame myself.
Me too. Had a Large krampus and have a KM. Id not ride a medium.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Steve... maybe a suggestion to get more hits on the thread by people that might be able to help. Try changing the thread titlw (can just edit by clicking on you original post pen button I think ) to state its a Surly ECR you wanna sit on and you're in SW... If thats helps :-bd
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Hi Steve

I don't have an ECR and haven't ridden the Divide! But I do have a large Karate Monkey and live just up the road from Dorchester, if that's any help?

Paul
steve.howard

Post by steve.howard »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:08 pm Steve... maybe a suggestion to get more hits on the thread by people that might be able to help. Try changing the thread titlw (can just edit by clicking on you original post pen button I think ) to state its a Surly ECR you wanna sit on and you're in SW... If thats helps :-bd
Wise words and acted upon :-bd
steve.howard

Post by steve.howard »

Dyffers wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:09 pm Hi Steve

I don't have an ECR and haven't ridden the Divide! But I do have a large Karate Monkey and live just up the road from Dorchester, if that's any help?

Paul
Thanks for the offer. Message me a bell to organise something :)
BigdummySteve

Re: Great Divide Mountain Bike Route - Surly ECR info required

Post by BigdummySteve »

Are you sure you want the ECR? I had a rohloff ECR, it was a great bike in the right place and I enjoyed it, but ultimately it’s quite limited. The low bottom bracket means that your stuck with 3” tyres, I found them slow on tarmac, painfully slow.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm Are you sure you want the ECR? I had a rohloff ECR, it was a great bike in the right place and I enjoyed it, but ultimately it’s quite limited. The low bottom bracket means that your stuck with 3” tyres, I found them slow on tarmac, painfully slow.
Which tyres were you running? i've Maxxis chronicles on mine and have previously run WTB Rangers fast tough 2.8's. I've considered Schwalbe G-Ones but fear they'd not be up to the rough stuff.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm Are you sure you want the ECR? I had a rohloff ECR, it was a great bike in the right place and I enjoyed it, but ultimately it’s quite limited. The low bottom bracket means that your stuck with 3” tyres, I found them slow on tarmac, painfully slow.
Which tyres were you running? i've Maxxis chronicles on mine and have previously run WTB Rangers fast tough 2.8's. I've considered Schwalbe G-Ones but fear they'd not be up to the rough stuff.
I'm using G-one all round liteskin in 2.8" and they are brilliant. I've never been so impressed with a tyre, I've ridden them on flint, gravel and footy singletrack with no problems whatsoever.
May satan walk with you