Route recommendations

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisAnstead

Route recommendations

Post by ChrisAnstead »

Hello all

I’m wanting to head out on some multi-day trips this summer/autumn, up to 4 days.

I’ve got a gravel bike running 42mm tires. I’m based in the south, don’t mind travelling, but not sure Scotland is on the list at the mo.

I’m happy with bridleways or roads, but would be nice to be a bit ‘out there’, also happy either with camping or credit-carding.

Happily take any suggestions.
woodsmith

Re: Route recommendations

Post by woodsmith »

Haven't done it myself but this may me fairly close to home for you

https://bikepacking.com/plog/south-downs-way-film/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Trans Cambrian Way often crops up in these threads and again would probably be ideal here. Doable on 42's (especially now Foel Fadian has been smoothed out) and plenty of 'out there' without actually being out there too much.

Finish at Dovey junction is a proper anti-climax but an alternate to the seaside proper is easily tagged on or simply ride it W to E and finish in Knighton.

The original was mapped as a 3 day ride and many people still do it over 3 days especially if requiring accommodation but 2 days is perhaps better as it'll be roughly 50 miles per day.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ChrisAnstead

Post by ChrisAnstead »

I thought the trans Cambrian was mountain bike territory? Would fit the bill if you think it’s doable.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Trans Cambrian Way - Gravel bike non-stop
https://youtu.be/7Ncg4dLO190
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought the trans Cambrian was mountain bike territory? Would fit the bill if you think it’s doable.
In my opion it's fine on a gravel bike fitted with reasonable tyres. This is especially true in summer when the grassy climbs out of Knighton will be less claggy / draggy.

Obviously your personal point of view will dictate things and there are those who believe they require 160mm of travel to ride a red run at a trail centre :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JimH

Post by JimH »

The Devon coast to coast is a nice two dayer. South Downs way as already mentioned and Purbeck looks nice
ChrisAnstead

Post by ChrisAnstead »

JimH wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm The Devon coast to coast is a nice two dayer.
Is that as in 'West Country Way'?
JimH

Post by JimH »

ChrisAnstead wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:11 am
JimH wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:34 pm The Devon coast to coast is a nice two dayer.
Is that as in 'West Country Way'?
No, the coast to coast runs north/south through Devon. Ilfracombe to Plymouth or vice versa traversing Dartmoor. Some people add in Exmoor too. Good proportion of Traffic free cycle paths