2nd City Divide

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: 2nd City Divide

Post by FLV »

Thanks for that Chew.

Sometimes I enjoy an easy "touring" route, so maybe it's ok as that?

Surprised it's that much road tho, thought it would be more balanced
Chew

Post by Chew »

FLV wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:13 pm Sometimes I enjoy an easy "touring" route, so maybe it's ok as that?
It’s good for that
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

An easy touring route with 10,000m of climbing over 600km? :cry: lots of gradual climbs or just a nice tailwind?!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Chew wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:34 pm
Overall it was ok :???:
Probably a good 'beginner' route, but it kinda felt like it didnt know what its purpose was.
Couldn't agree more. Doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a hairy-arsed bikpacking route or a traditional road route.
Rode this in 10 days in mid July from south to north
. Far too much tarmac, you're riding on the Pennine Bridleway then on the road, bypassing bits of the P.B. for some reason. The section in the Forest of Bowland is excellent but its a lot of road riding to get over there and back again.
I alterered my route slightly, turning right at Tan Hill to take the Sleightholm track to Bowes, Barnard Castle, middleton in Teesdale, Holwick to Pennine way, Highcup Nic, Dufton and took the route down to Garrigill from Greg's Hut.

Honestly, I'd look elsewhere. Great North Trail perhaps.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a hairy-arsed bikpacking route or a traditional road route.
Talking to the guys who set it up, I thought that was the point - a bit like the TNR in it's a road ride with old trail/byway sections, so it's a 'gravel' ride with road links. Some of it will be a bit much on a gravel bike and an MTB is OTT for a lot of it? I like that kind of ride, the terrain contrast and how there's no ideal bike so you just get on with it.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I rode it South to North and enjoyed it, the lanes it used were nice and quiet, I didn't like the very short section on the A66 but not any way around that part.
I didn't even think about what type of route it was supposed to be, just enjoyed it for what it is.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"