Hebridean Way

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Hebridean Way

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't know what the FKT for the Hebridean Way is but it's a lot less than 4 days. Yes, you can cycle it in that time but I think you just miss too much. The first time I was through the Uists was cycling the Heb Way before it was called that. We had 5 days cycling. I was acutely aware that we seemed to zoom past everything without a chance for detours or even just to sit on a beach for a while. We were B&Bing so a fixed itinerary and, I guess, less time outside in the evenings (though we did opt for short after-dinner walks).

As I've already posted above, we go over to Lewis (and Harris) frequently as the in-laws are there and we've been back to Uist 6 times and we're still exploring :grin:

Some photos of that first trip...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/druidh200 ... 5906663678

Oh - the ferry times can screw you up a bit too, especially the one to Harris. Check the timetable and make sure it's not changed to accommodate the tides.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Great pics :-bd
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

When I did it a few years ago with the ex we had 7 days including the two ferry days (afternoon ferries Oban-Castlebay and Stornoway-Ullapool). So 5 full days on the islands. We averaged 40-45 miles a day, although I could have done more she was knackered each day! We did get held up at the Berneray-Leverburgh ferry as it sailed about 5 hours late due to fog, delays like this need factoring in if you're on a tight schedule. If (when) I was to go back i'd take more time as didn't get a huge amount of time to explore around the main route, maybe go for 10-12 days (depending on train times from down South!)

I wrote about our trip here:
http://www.majaba.co.uk/cycling-the-hebridean-way/
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

One of my comrades on the last Hebridean trip left this lovely write up if it helps.

https://nickhubble.bike/2019/05/29/on-r ... e-of-skye/

4 days isn't enough if the wind doesn't play ball. We went south to north (as is most often recommended) and had a week of hellish headwinds that made cycling all but unbearable. I have very fond memories, but at the end of May had Wind, rain, hail, sun, and everything else.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Rode it in 2018 over about 12 days North to South against the prevailing wind. If i'd gone in the other direction I could probably have done the whole thing in a few days without pedalling such was the wind. The advantage of going against the wind was the countless showers blew threw in 10 minutes and happily often coincided with a bus shelter, whereas cyclists going the the other way looked like they'd been pedalling under the same cloud for hours.
Many of the most memorable places were'nt on the main route but on the side roads which involves a lot of out and back via the same route often.
The road out to Hushinish ( NW of Tarbet) was great with great camping ( donation ) at the end and a visitor centre/toilets run by the local crofting association
The Gatliff trust Hostels are excellent but I imagine are closed due to Covid.
Definitely give yourself more than 4 days. I'd say a week minimum.