Loch Maree(ish) heading south?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Loch Maree(ish) heading south?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Allen's post reminded me that I wanted to ask a question - does anyone know whether it's possible to travel from Loch Maree down towards Torridon? The map shows a track starting at NG856720 leading off the A832, heading SE and running alongside Loch na h-Oidhche but it appears to falter at the end of the loch.

The map also shows a path running round the east side of Sgurr Mor which again appears to be a dead-end.

I'm wondering whether they're actually joined or could be? Or is it a stupid notion and something I should forget ever seeing?

Ideas / comments welcome, ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Loch Maree(ish) heading south?

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's been done. On foot.

I've stood at both track ends and wondered the same. There's no way I would attempt it with a bike. It's not just a wide boggy area, it is littered with massive boulders

As I said in the other thread, Pòca Buidhe is no longer a bothy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stu, I don't know if you've seen it but the map at http://www.whoownsscotland.org.uk/geo/index.htm shows estate boundaries which can help in deciding if the infamous Scottish black dashed lines are likely to join up.

A lot of the tracks are for "estate business" rather than providing a means of travelling from one glen to another, after all if there's one track doing that why would you need another?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, it's good to know that Colin hasn't dismissed it completely and that's an interesting site Bob.

I'll do some more digging but it looks like something I might consider having a stab at should be ever be allowed back out again :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

There's no way I would attempt it with a bike. It's not just a wide boggy area, it is littered with massive boulders
Sounds like an ideal route candidate for the next BB2000. :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Can I add mass start at the same time from point of route nearest your own home-just to make dot watching as confusing as the route :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:05 pm Well, it's good to know that Colin hasn't dismissed it completely
I thought I had :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought I had :lol:
Bugger :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've thought of going up the path along Glen Grudie to its end and linking through to the path round the back of Liatach below Sail Mhor (which is a good 'un for the most part) The gap is only about 3k, how bad can it be :mrgreen: