How to plan a route....

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

How to plan a route....

Post by BreninBeener »

Generally i have two modes of navigation.

The first is jist ride along with a vague idea of where i am and what direction im going in. I will look at maps on my Etrex if im not sure and i will have a mental idea of the area from a bit of earlier research on OS maps.

The second is i follow a route on Etrex that i have previously downloaded.

However it appears that Mrs B may get a place in a big event and she only has the constraint of making checkpoints.
So.....my real question is how do we plot a route for ourselves and get it onto the Garmin device?
Is there an inline tutorial? Youtube guide?
Sorry to seem a luddite but its all a little new to me
Regards
Ian
ScotRoutes

Re: How to plan a route....

Post by ScotRoutes »

Assuming you have a PC, start with Garmin Basecamp. Plug in your Etrex and it'll use the maps on that.
Boab

Post by Boab »

As an alternative to what ScotRoutes has suggested, have a look at Ride with GPS. You can plot routes, which you can then download to your device. I have my Wahoo setup with the integration on, so the app automatically syncs new routes, along with the cue sheet.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I start with paper maps. I find they provide a great overview and allow me to see the bigger picture. Once I've devised something I'm happy with, I then plot it onto the map at bikehike.co.uk and from there I simply save it to my desktop as a gpx track.

I find that plotting directly onto the screen can lead to me either backing myself into a navigational corner or missing something good. The initial map process usually stops this from happening ... the overview thing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Are we talking about an event that involves riding predominantly or preferrably on tarmac and is it based in Europe?
Sitting down with paper maps may not be so easy with something like the TCR where it's a linear route with hundreds of km between checkpoints. I use wikiloc to work out long distance routes here in Spain, it's also useful to get a feel for the type of going under-wheel. Once I've plotted a route, drawing it freehand, I upload it to google earth and use streetview to get an accurate picture of the road or track. Time consuming but it works. You could also have a play with Strava heat maps to see the quality and gradient of key sections or Komoot although I've heard mixed reports of Komoot with people downloading tarmac route options with the reality being anything but.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I find Strava's route builder to be by far the best way of plotting routes Ian. The amount of data they have means their heatmap is miles better than anyone else's and that will ultimately give you the best indication of what the most rideable trails are.

When's Ruth's event?
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks all. Im going to try the options listed, and see what works best.

Duncan, Andy i will be in touch to pester you both further!

Regards

Ian
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:55 am I find Strava's route builder to be by far the best way of plotting routes Ian. The amount of data they have means their heatmap is miles better than anyone else's and that will ultimately give you the best indication of what the most rideable trails are.

When's Ruth's event?
I'll second Strava for a bit of planning, tend to some segment searching to see whos ridden where and then start plotting providing they dont private their ride you can create route from others rides which is a bit good in itself if you also fancy somewhere new to ride
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams