Route Info Wanted: Doethie Valley Singletrack

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DoctorRad

Route Info Wanted: Doethie Valley Singletrack

Post by DoctorRad »

I've been wanting to ride the Doethie valley singletrack for a while now, and just came up with the following route

https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=wtixzhtapvefgxoj

My main concern is the tracks through the Bryn Arau Duon / Cefn Gwenffrwd forest - can anyone comment on any access issues they've encountered here?

Any other route critique / gotchas welcome.
Dave Barter

Re: Route Info Wanted: Doethie Valley Singletrack

Post by Dave Barter »

DoctorRad wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 pm Any other route critique / gotchas welcome.
wanting to ride the Doethie valley singletrack
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I guess you don't think it's all that then?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I second what Dave says. The days of 'serpentine singletrack' are well over (if they ever really existed). I could never figure out where it got this reputation from? Much nicer stuff to ride in the area.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

My advise would be this.... dont bother its not that great and as stu says much better trails out there. If you do go and do it take some waterproof trousers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you do decide to ride it, the BW that drops into it half way down from the east is nice as is the BW that crosses the mountains starting in the north at SN 740515. Although tarmac, the Irfon valley is just lovely.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Doing more research I think it was always a bit of a 'Marmite' trail anyway, and seems to have suffered from over-use in the last decade or so.

Strava heatmap seems to indicate that there are no access issues through Bryn Arau Duon / Cefn Gwenffrwd forest, so that's something…
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Strava heatmap seems to indicate that there are no access issues through Bryn Arau Duon / Cefn Gwenffrwd forest, so that's something…
It's privately owned forestry but there is a RoW through it and besides, it's unlikey that you'll see anyone out there away from the weekend we call summer ... and even then, not many.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

I was concerned with access from the SW corner, which isn't a right of way, but plenty of people seem to have used it :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My point really is that a forest with RoW tend to have more visitors / users so your presence will usually appear less odd or out of place. Some private forests with no RoW are often far harder to penetrate. :wink:
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Gotcha! Again, Strava heatmap can be useful to see if (certain) people have already been there…
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You wanna be careful using Strava heatmap in some of the more remote parts of mid-Wales :wink:
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Fair…
psling

Post by psling »

I think the infamous Doethie Valley singletrack became a victim of it's own success. It was one of my favourite rides, or probably more correctly, favourite places. Over the years though it has been used for off-road sportive type events and more recently pony trekking. This use has taken it's toll and the last time I was there I walked more of it than rode it :sad:

Cefn Gwenffrwd - I've passed through there a few times but only from the south east (I've never been through Bryn Arau Duon though). The right of way along the southern edge / fence of Cefn Gwenffrwd (shown as black dashes on map) is a bit of a bogfest but the fireroads through the forest are fine as an alternative. The track out of the forest on the north west is fun down to Bryn-glas. On one occasion (probably 35 years ago!) the occupants at Bryn-glas were a bit "what you doing coming over my land" but were OK once we explained it was a right of way!!

Enjoy your ride - it's a great area and often overlooked. If you're in the area for a day or two, have a couple of hours at Cwm Rhaeadr trail, fun in a small package :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:21 am Although tarmac, the Irfon valley is just lovely.
And a road ride up the Irfon from Llanwrtyd should be continued to Tregaron for that feeling of middle-of-nowhereness :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
composite

Post by composite »

I rode it for the first time almost 10 years ago on a very hot sunny day, after a dry spell and it was ace. I think everything just fell into place that day for it to be fun and memorable.

I have ridden twice since as just a section of a much longer bikepacking route and it was totally forgettable in the whole of those rides. I wouldn't ever bother to make a trip to go ride it specifically.