Wales - Mach Loop - Watch and ride

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

survivor

Wales - Mach Loop - Watch and ride

Post by survivor »

Just an idea for next year but would anyone have ideas for a route I could do that would at some point put me at the prime viewing spot for the RAF's low level flying here:

Mach Loop
A487, Dolgellau LL40 2SH
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Bs2seYybobDqKYnw7

I'm thinking I'll be spoilt for choice will I?
Taylor

Re: Wales - Mach Loop - Watch and ride

Post by Taylor »

If you take the cycle path up to the to of the hill from aberllefenni then push the last bit up, that's the best viewing spot. Much better than the road viewpoint.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If you ride south out of Machynlleth along the waymarked trail Mach 3, it takes you into the Hengwm valley and a forest road climb. At the top, the trail comes out onto an open moor which runs along the very edge of this hanging valley. The best spot is just before the rocky descent known as the chute as the jets have to climb up and skim the edge. I was riding there many years ago and was nearly knocked off by the shock wave of a couple of Tornados, I could clearly see the pilot and they seemed very low indeed. Not sure if they can fly this low now, especially in the Spring, following complaints from farmers having miscarried sheep.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, they can still fly very low Duncan - one of the few places they can so I'm told.

Trouble is - the main vantage point of the Mach' Loop is just one of the places to see them at close quarters but there are others that are much more spectacular. If you were to come and climb the 'mountain' at the side of my house you'd be able to look down on the planes as they wiggle their way through the valley but you won't know when or if they're coming.
May the bridges you burn light your way