Loch Lomond to glen coe routes

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nobbythesheep

Loch Lomond to glen coe routes

Post by nobbythesheep »

Hi all , drove up through glen Coe in the summer with the family , both me and my eldest son (14) decided we wouldn’t mind a trip through there off road at some point next year so I’m looking routes and tips . I wouldn’t mind going there by train initially and hopefully pick the train up at the other end ( saves the faff of finding somewhere safe to leave the van for a couple of days ) .any help would be greatly appreciated
ScotRoutes

Re: Loch Lomond to glen coe routes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The most obvious and direct route would be the West Highland Way. Some pushing/carrying involved just north of Inversnaid.

An Turas Mor takes a different approach out of Glasgow and you'd be hitting Glen Coe from the East, possibly from Glen Lyon onto the WHW.

The nearest railway stations to Glen Coe would be Bridge of Orchy and Fort William. The WHW connects to both.
nobbythesheep

Post by nobbythesheep »

Will have a look at that ,thank you
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you move slightly east there is a vast area of nothingness (apart from lots of bumps obviously) with some great trails and various options to link through to Glencoe / Fort bill. WHW is poor show from Loch Lomondside to Tyndrum but you could go from LL to Callander then Killin on NCN 7, hop over to Glen Lyon (this is on the Great north trail), head west to Bridge of Orchy (HT550 backwards) then WHW to Kingshouse. There is a way of getting most of the way through Glencoe itself off road. Or from Glen Lyon keep north on the GNT / HT550 route to Rannoch and the road to the isles to Loch Ossian then reverse the old HT550 route to Kinlochleven. :-bd