Capital Trail?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

survivor

Capital Trail?

Post by survivor »

Should be doing this soon and there's plenty of info on it so should be a good ride but I'm thinking of starting at Inners as I'll be there already riding the trail bike or should I just drive up to Edinburgh and start their? Also any recommendations of route alterations or is it good as is?
Escape Goat

Re: Capital Trail?

Post by Escape Goat »

I've never done the trail, but getting to Edinburgh and trying to park will be a bit hard, depending where you come from, drive to a station or ride there - then train the rest to Edinburgh. It's on my ever growing list of places to ride! Been going to Edinburgh for years, would love the adventure to arrive by train with bike in hand!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We did it on the May Day BH weekend. We parked up in Peebles and did it in just over two days - have a look in the Trip Reports section - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14668. Bivvied in the Pentlands just before getting in to Edinburgh and near Melrose.

I've not done much in that area so don't know what would be better alternatives, if any, to the published route. Markus Stitz lives in Edinburgh so presumably had time to come up with the best options regarding riding and potentially bad conditions. There's quite a bit of road from leaving the Pentlands until you start climbing up in to the Lammermuirs but that's the nature of the beast really.
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cracking route one i would defo do again!
survivor

Post by survivor »

Thanks chaps.....

Good to hear someone's done similar with the starting point. I was thinking the same about bivvy spot then just get through Edinburgh during the morning. Been a long time since I've been there so quite long forward to that bit weirdly :grin: I'll just be in tourist more riding along trying not to get run over!

For a traditional start I suppose I could park up at Galashiels and get the train in from their on the fancy new (ish) line... Quite like the idea of that as well. Train to begin the adventure.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

survivor wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:04 pm For a traditional start I suppose I could park up at Galashiels and get the train in from their on the fancy new (ish) line... Quite like the idea of that as well. Train to begin the adventure.

If you are doing that park at Tweedbank (free) not Gala
survivor

Post by survivor »

:-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The start is in Portobello so you can drive there missing out Embra. Plenty of parking near the start point.
br

Post by br »

It's a loop, so if you're in Inners already just ride from Inners.

Or, maybe drive over to Peebles and park by the river at Kingsmeadow and then look at getting through Edinburgh to bivvy on the Lammermuirs.

Alternatively park at Tweedbank station and then bivvy before Edinburgh.
survivor

Post by survivor »

I got back home yesterday after having to abandon the mission. Started at Inners and got past Edinburgh but after a catalogue of errors on my part and tired legs I backtracked to Edinburgh and got the train to Galashiels.

I'm new to longer rides and stopping out and had a brilliant time and have come back with some funny stories and memories but have learnt some valuable lessons for future trips. :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

htrider wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm The start is in Portobello so you can drive there missing out Embra.
We're heading the capital trail next week - what's Embra - and should I really avoid it?

htrider wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm
Plenty of parking near the start point.
Would you just dump it somewhere around here?

ImageScreen Shot 2019-09-03 at 21.49.47 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2019-09-03 at 21.54.45 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2019-09-03 at 21.47.45 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Looking forward to it, I was going to park in the most southerly point BUT i'd LOVE to end in Edinburgh, it would be like a genuine treat with ale and stuff!
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Embra = "Edinburgh".

Seems like a reasonable place to leave the car. There *MIGHT* be resident's only parking there. I dunno, you might be able to see the street sign of google streetview
survivor

Post by survivor »

I recently went up and finished what I started. :-bd

This time I left the van at tweedbank railway station. Was suspicious of that option at first but the car park was heaving with cars left there for days like mine. I'd happily do it again as it's CCTV central as well. Got the train in on the morning. No need to book and they are every half hour I think.

I'd defo say start at Edinburgh as the ride out to the Lammermuir hills isn't particular exciting so best to get it out the way first. From there it's all off road pretty much until your back into Edinburgh and the pentlands descents will be a great way to finish off

The only bit to watch out for really is that loop south of Innerliethen that eventually does the Gypsy Glenn decent. It has a harsh push up through heather with no path or obvious way to go... If like me you'll check you for map a few times as you look at it from the bottom then admit defeat and just get pushing. Takes awhile as it's proper steep to start with, worth it all for the descents after though.

Not sure which gpx route I used but a couple of places the locals have made it obvious they don't want you passing through. Blocked path in one place and no bike signs in another. That reminds me I was going to send these to the bloke who set it up to amend or short out.

You'll enjoy it though. Have fun
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

survivor wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm I recently went up and finished what I started. :-bd
:-bd

survivor wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm couple of places the locals have made it obvious they don't want you passing through That reminds me I was going to send these to the bloke who set it up to amend or short out.
Hmm...easy enough work around? I.E. get on os maps and work something out?
survivor wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm I was going to send these to the bloke who set it up to amend or short out

I was going to use the one off bikepacking.com have you sent it on to him?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

jamiep wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am Embra = "Edinburgh".
:smile: oh, I feel daft now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

survivor wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm I recently went up and finished what I started. :-bd

Not sure which gpx route I used but a couple of places the locals have made it obvious they don't want you passing through. Blocked path in one place and no bike signs in another. That reminds me I was going to send these to the bloke who set it up to amend or short out.
I don't remember anything like that. Can't remember where I got the GPX from, possibly bikepacking.com.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Taken from BikePacking.com ...

ImageScreen Shot 2019-09-04 at 22.41.00 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Monks Rigs stiles have been like that for, oh, 15 years to my knowledge. Can't say I've ever had a problem with them and that was a regular, local ride for me.

Any signs saying "no bikes" or similar can be ignored, or reported to either the local access officer or to the Scottish Rights of Way Society (Scotways).
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ScotRoutes wrote: โ†‘Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:36 pm The Monks Rigs stiles have been like that for, oh, 15 years to my knowledge. Can't say I've ever had a problem with them and that was a regular, local ride for me.

Any signs saying "no bikes" or similar can be ignored, or reported to either the local access officer or to the Scottish Rights of Way Society (Scotways).
Thanks buddy, puts my mind at rest. Hate being on my bike where I'm not allowed and also hate being not allowed where I should be allowed.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ah, some memory jogging going on here:

After Saltoun Wood there was a locked gate by the buildings here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=348000 ... &A=Y&Z=115 no sign though.

There was one, possibly two stiles to negotiate on Monks bicycle, the third was by a tumbledown wall so no need to use it. The first was here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=317590 ... &A=Y&Z=115 and being close to the road I wonder if it was originally done to prevent motorbike access
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Monks bicycle :lol:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I think I know where that is (I stay in Edinburgh and have done that part of the route many times). Ive never seen a sign. I was last there in June, I think. Just crack on and ignore signs or locked gates, it isn't private property and one is allowed responsible access
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

whitestone wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:10 am and being close to the road I wonder if it was originally done to prevent motorbike access

Good point actually.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

On the first group start the way around Sunderland Hall (a large manor house) was very confusing with many people ending up at the front door of the house. The people living there were ok about it on this occasion but started to get pretty pissed off after that and put signs up saying no bikes until Markus made the route more clear. We do have access to estate tracks in Scotland but the area immediately around the house are private gardens with no way through so we do not have the right to cycle there.
I think Markus may have been a bit naive about how locals would react when he first put this route together as some of the bivi spots he recommended were very close to people's houses. I also think 150 entrants on a two day group start route is too many.
survivor

Post by survivor »

Three two problems I had were the no bikes sign mentioned above but I just went through. It is just a road so no harm done. Put that one down to Grumpy residents.

The other was near Lauder. A gate with barbed wire had been put up. Again I got through it but then felt like I was in someone's back yard so can kinda understand why they don't want you there.

I've emailed Markus so he'll know it anything needs doing our not...