Lakes 200

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Lakes 200

Post by lune ranger »

So I just did B150 and therefore need something else to obsess over. I’m thinking Lakes 200 would be a good target. Browsing the Self Supported UK site shows the route with a small loop around Staveley and a main loop around the Lakes. It says to go clockwise. How’s that work?
Do you start in Staveley and head initially to High Borrans and Troutbeck, do the main loop and finish over Garburn to Kentmere?
Or:
Do you start by going up Kentmere and over Garburn, do the main loop and finish via Troutbeck and High Borrans?
Cheers.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Re: Lakes 200

Post by whitestone »

You can start where you like, I think Alan made the GPX start at Staveley as most people would be coming up from the south and that's the nearest point to the motorway. I've seen suggestions that the best start is at Coniston since the harder stuff, including nearly all the hike-a-bike comes very early on.

The neck of the two loops is a crossroads of trails so you don't repeat any section of trail. Starting at Staveley you head to High Borrans then over to the track up Garburn Pass before turning down the bottom part of that track and across to Troutbeck. Coming back you come over High Street and drop down to meet the Garburn track then up over Garburn to Kentmere, up the track from the Hall and finish down the Three Rivers descent.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Bob.
Just saw Ian Barringtons report online and link to his ride on Strava.
I was just trying to work out where various start points would put the hours of darkness.
I think for me sunset at the bottom of Borrowdale might be best.
Anyway this is most probably a project for next year do I can mull it all over at my leisure.
Ta
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I started from Matterdale End, mainly because my friend has a house there and coming from Newcastle it makes no sense to to drive to Staveley.
I think it worked well - doing it over two days, i got the hike-a-bike up to High Street over with the first morning and could bivvy in the more remote section after Walna Scar (which was also nice to tick off on day 1). I'm sure you could make it work starting anywhere. Still, it's ****ing hard wherever you start :wink: