Route from Shrewsbury to Shell Island. (Llanbedr)

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Route from Shrewsbury to Shell Island. (Llanbedr)

Post by ozboz »

Hiya , I thinking of riding from Shrewsbury to Shell Island , My road cycle route planners show different ways , but they are on highways I’d say , I haven’t got an off road sort of planner , so are there gravel off road routes through that part of Snowdonia ? , ta
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Route from Shrewsbury to Shell Island. (Llanbedr)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While there's no 'routes' to join the two, there's loads, almost endless ways of joining Shrewsbury to Shell Island. What kind of thing are you after? Staraight A to B, someting that meanders raking in 'good bits'. Lots of proper off road or lanes / gravel?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Thanks for reply , Probably as much gravel off road as possible , Shrewsbury was my starting point as I can get to there by overnight train and then peddle the rest , on closer inspection of the rail network I can get a lot closer to Snowdonia and cut the road work out , so by going farther west to Machynllyth and then peddle in a N Westerly direction taking on board tracks ,paths which is preferred , though it will be harder I’d say but much more rewarding ! I think I need to get some device or an OS map (which I am very comfortable with , that’s all we had in my Army days )
No doubt though if I look at the reviews section of the forum I’ll find a device or app to suit my pursuits , ( if there are any preferences toward such I will be happy to look at them first though ! )
Cheers
nico

Post by nico »

Following with interest, am planning a similar route in a few weeks from Shrewsbury through Snowdonia and onto Anglesey, but want to keep off the main roads as much as possible!
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I was going to head to Welshpool then along the A458 and enter the park around the Cwm Cewedd area then find the trails, but I don’t fancy riding the roads, from Shrewsbury , though I’m sure they are very picturesque,
RIP

Post by RIP »

You had the right idea getting the train onwards to Mach I reckon, which would put you right in the thick of things if you're short of time. Or even just to Caersws, jump off and head NW to Llangadfan and Dolgellau then Pont Scethin to Shell Island. Back on the coast railway from Harlech?

Anyroad, Stu will have a million gpx's on tap for you :). Much more fun with a map though ;).

Round there it'll be a smashin' ride whatever you do :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh yeah, dead easy from Mach' and a decent ride into the bargain. What kind of mileage are you looking for? A good days ride or something with an overnight option thrown in?* Let me know and I'll sort you out a gpx if you like.

*Suppose it'll depend on train tmes really.
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Hiya , thanks for replies , there is no time frame , the reason I am heading that way is to do a ‘ commando raid ‘ on my Bro , he has started to go there with his family and friends and ex forces mates to get some quality outdoors time within a couple of hours drive from Oldham , I’ve a feeling they will be heading there August bank holiday so I will travel fro London up cross the park in the early hours and do a dawn attack on them !
and then demand bbq bacon and sausage butties and confiscate any beer that’s on show !
I’m not to sure what I would do with a gpx to be honest , im not to tech savvy , would that mean buying some form of gizmo ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You wouldn't have to buy a gizmo. If you've computer access, you could open the gpx in bikehike and copy the route onto a paper map or print it off.
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

Oh , well Ican get that done by my Son , I’d say that my plan would be to go from station and ride to shell island on the day of its no trouble that would be a great help 😃
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've emailed you a route Steve.