Oman?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Oman?

Post by Rasta »

I'm trying to get some ideas for this autumn's trip. 3 to 4 weeks.
I'm after desert riding and 1st on my list is Namibia. But prices for flights are too high. (Just read The Sheltering Desert).

Oman is next. Flights are good. Maybe transiting through or starting in Dubai.
Crazy fast drivers, but lots of off road riding, great wild camping and welcoming people.

So - has anyone got any links, books, vids to recommend?
whitestone

Re: Oman?

Post by whitestone »

I worked out in Oman in the 1990s. They were just starting to develop "adventure" tourism, diving, that sort of thing.

Even in winter it's "hot", autumn might still be suffering from the summer heat - it got to 55C one day :shock: Obviously that was in the desert, at a place called Fahud, but out on the coast where summer temps are a "cool" 35C you've 95%+ humidity. November - December time and the temperatures are a more pleasant 20-25C.

Did a bit of wandering around at the end of one of my two month stints but I wasn't mountain biking then. Inland of the Al Hajar mountains - quite impressive - the landscape is similar to the mid-west prairies but with the interesting bits taken away :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Sorry. I was stuck in a beautiful valley in the French Alps for a week - without reception.

If I can get a good deal on a flight then I may try dec/jan which should be the coolest months.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Rasta wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:26 pm stuck in a beautiful valley in the French Alps for a week
tough times :grin: