Alston - North Pennines

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobLyon

Alston - North Pennines

Post by RobLyon »

I've signed up to March Moto Madness (camping) at Haggsbank bunk house in Alston on 29th-31st March. The problem is my motorbike is still in bits and the frame is still at the powder coaters so i'm looking at back up plans. Any good routes up that way? I've paid for the campsite but i'm not against a Bivi/Bothy to.
Ray Young

Re: Alston - North Pennines

Post by Ray Young »

Not been that way in 30 years, :shock: . Not a lot of bridleways to choose from but those marked tend to exist on the ground. A favourite of mine was to the south of Alston. Cow Green Reservoir West to High Cup Nick and possible though exposed bivi (a must see if your in the area but definitely approach from the East in daylight for biggest impact) then North on the road to Knock and East up a steep and prolonged road climb to near the top of Great Dun Fell then bridleway to Garrigil or continue North past Knock to Kirkland then take the bridleway East to pass below the summit of Cross Fell (the highest fell in the Pennines) on "The Corpse Road". It's another long steep prolonged climb though offroad and you will be pushing for some time. Below Cross Fell summit you pass Greg's Hut bothy then continue to Garrigil on a great descent. Be warned, the climbs in this area are steep.
golfcurry

Post by golfcurry »

you can ride next to the railway line from Alston and join up to this route at Slaggyford, nice remote area, track is a little vague at the highest point, some real nice trails though

https://www.strava.com/activities/159212552
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

This is looking quite likely now so thanks for the input :-bd