Route advice aviemore to glasgow

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

Route advice aviemore to glasgow

Post by windjammer »

Thinking of heading north to Scotland at Easter,park up at Glasgow catch the train to aviemore Thursday evening,find some were to camp or bothy for the night then make my way back to Glasgow over 4 days.looked at the outer trail of cairngorm loop that goes south from aviemore to the a9,then head up north to laggan pick up the ht550 to tyndrum ,pick up the west highland way back to Glasgow.any one know of any other routes
ScotRoutes

Re: Route advice aviemore to glasgow

Post by ScotRoutes »

How about the Corrieyairack from Laggan to Fort Augustus and then the GGW to Tyndrum?

There's not been much snow this year so it should be clear by Easter.

Or Cairngorm Loop to Blair Atholl, Killiecrankie, Pitlochry, Rob Roy Way to Drymen.

I know of many bivvy spots around Aviemore. Let me know how your plans are going and I'll give you some options.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh - don't follow the HT550 route over the Bealach Dubh. It's much better in the other direction. Head past Lochan na h-earba instead.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

From Laggan you could follow An Turas Mor backwards which would take you to the West end of Glasgow.
BaM 2021
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A lower level option between Laggan and Glen Lyon would be the old HT550 route from Laggan to Corrour then the Road to the Isles to Rannoch station, down the road to Bridge of Gaur to pick up the current HT550 route. (this might be the An Turas Mor route that Alan mentions)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

whitestone wrote:A lower level option between Laggan and Glen Lyon would be the old HT550 route from Laggan to Corrour then the Road to the Isles to Rannoch station, down the road to Bridge of Gaur to pick up the current HT550 route. (this might be the An Turas Mor route that Alan mentions)
You're right. After the climb over to Glen Lyon, An Turas Mor heads south. It goes via Killin, Aberfoyle and into Glasgow
BaM 2021
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Thanks for the replies looks like a train to aviemore find a bivi spot at 10.30 pm on the Thursday before Easter then head over to ryvoan bothy and do the outer loop of the cairngorms to blair athol make my way over to laggan wolftrax and pick up the an turas mor back to Glasgow.