WRT to MoorsOneHundred - possible route

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jaminb

WRT to MoorsOneHundred - possible route

Post by jaminb »

Just had notification that MOH is the following weekend after WRT - would it be even feasible to consider a 4 day ride linking the two.

Google suggest 250 miles but with an interesting off road route that could easily double!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: WRT to MoorsOneHundred - possible route

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sounds like the makings of a good trip :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Now that is a good idea

And for extra "Boner points" cycle home after the Moors 100
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just threw it at the cycle travel planner and get 247 miles mostly on quiet roads with about 50 miles traffic free.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

:sad: missing both this yr , thanks for reminding me :lol:
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

Sorry Mike. I missed both last year due to the birth of daughter no. 2. She is probably going to disown me, along with the rest of the family, for missing her 1st birthday!

After further research I wonder about incorporating the Pennine Bridleway in my route north. I am now worried I wont be able to complete the whole journey in the 4 days post WRT. Which section would you omit - BB towers to the Peak District or Kirby Stephen to Goathland? BB towers would be easy as I can get a lift back to Yorkshire - KS to Goathland may be possible to catch a train and if progress / energy levels are good I could still complete the entire mission.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/SY19+ ... 001635!3e1
Chew

Post by Chew »

Unsure why you would want to use the PBW as it doesn’t really take you in the direction you want to go?

If you can work out (or get someone to help) to get to east of Manchester I can get you up towards Ilkley/Otley, which would be a bit more direct.
After that there’s little off-road worth bothering with across the Vale of York until you get near to the Moors
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

thanks for the offer of help Chew - I certainly need it!

My thinking about the PBW is that the riding will be off road and hopefully b stunning, a more direct route could see me riding roads between Doncaster and York (no offence meant but I grew up around there).

My trip is less about completing the journey between the two destinations and more about the quality of the riding on the 4 days between. I am quite happy to 'cheat' at either end to improve the middle! This is why i though Peak District and Dales may be the way to go. I wasn't even aware of the PBW until reading another thread on here.

Any further advice on my obscure logic greatly appreciated. Also if someone could move my thread to Your trips and Adventures (or the trash ) I think that would be better than my ramblings hogging space under GB.

Thanks

Ben
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Did a offroad route around Manchester for someone else on here - it's this https://www.strava.com/routes/15333227

Top end of that is the PBW, bottom end is on the Cheshire canal network which will take you in the direction of Wales at least.