Scottish route advice for April

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jonathan

Scottish route advice for April

Post by Jonathan »

I've got about 8 days for a bike packing trip towards the end of April. Originally I was keen on the Cairngorms but it seems the consensus is that there will be plenty of snow.

I'm looking for a mountain biking route rather than gravel biking. I assume that the Borders will be more suitable, does anyone have any suggestions for that area? Any other routes I should be looking at?
ScotRoutes

Re: Scottish route advice for April

Post by ScotRoutes »

Something taking in the HT550 might work. The West Coast generally sees less snow and warmer temperatures than the Cairngorms.

Most of the snow would normally be gone from the Cairngorms by the latter part of April too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Central and Northern loops of the HT550 would fit the bill. We did the Northern loop on the May Day BH last year and had a very little snow, one drift across the track descending from Bealach Horn. If you don't fancy the Postman's Path then the original route out to Poolewe could be taken. The only other genuinely technical section is the bottom of the Coire Lair descent in Torridon, this can be avoided by turning left just before the Teahouse bothy, but even if you walk the harder bits it's only twenty minutes or so.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Eastern cairngorms / Mounth worth a look the Deeside trail being a good shout plus there is plenty of other stuff. Better chance of good weather to boot :-bd
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks all. I think I'll do the Deeside trail then round the outer Cairngorms loop.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jonathan wrote:Thanks all. I think I'll do the Deeside trail then round the outer Cairngorms loop.
If you post a reminder a couple of weeks before you set off I'll try to give an update on the ground conditions so you know what to expect.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Thanks all. I think I'll do the Deeside trail then round the outer Cairngorms loop.
If you post a reminder a couple of weeks before you set off I'll try to give an update on the ground conditions so you know what to expect.
Thanks! Any chance you could open any gates for me as well please?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, there aren't very many!! Not compared with Englandandwales at least..
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

The Cairngorms could be fine in the Glens and possibly even some of the Bealachs will be reasonably passable up to 750m if you don't mind a bit of pushing and/or there hasn't been too much snow.
The best routes in the Cairngorms involve river crossings and even if the rivers aren't high from snow melt, they are reasonably deep and fairly/very cold at this time of year. You need to seriously factor in regaining body heat after crossing, even if only up to knee level! If you find out which YHA and independent hostels are open and aim to arrive at these each night, then regaining body heat is not so big an issue. If you are bivvying I would imagine it becomes very difficult. Staying in a bothy, but with with no fuel for fire is doable but you need to choose your dry kit, sleeping bag and food carefully, especially if air temp in <5C.