Spain GR247

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ballibeg

Spain GR247

Post by ballibeg »

Heading here first week in May. Was going to hammock it at times. If I can ditch the mosquito net and poles I would....

Anyone know what mossies will be like first week in May in them there hills?

Ta.

Dave
middleagedmadness

Re: Spain GR247

Post by middleagedmadness »

Lived a bit further north for a good few years and up in the hills around Alicante as long as you were away from still water the mossies were very few ,I'd be a bit more concerned about what times to cycle with the heat ,end of April beginning of may it used to be high 20s into low 30s ,when you can take the siesta the Spanish take it for a reason ,it took me a good couple of years to get why the workshop would shut between 1 and 4 , I find the small villages in Spain the best places to eat, the people are really friendly even if they can't understand you ,just be aware of the giri tax ( foreigners tax ) you may pay a little extra for things but this is just their custom as they have a short time every year to make a little extra money ,you should have a great time looking at doing it with my young fella next easter
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Great info. Much appreciated. I'll be making shade and resting up in the hammock during the hot hours. I'm a big guy from Scotland, we don't like the heat! I may not complete the route with my lack of experience but it won't ruin the adventure.

Thanks again.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Doesn't matter if you complete it or not (just my opinion) as my lad Fionn says it's all about the adventure , :-bd
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Looking a bit muddy just now...... This pic shared from bikepacking.com from a few days ago.....

Bonus

Post by Bonus »

Come to Northern Spain - the snow has killed all the mozies!
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Tempting.,... Long drive from Malaga airport though!!!!!
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

I'm on my last nightshift after a particularly rough week at work but tomorrow I fly! Should be turning the pedals just after lunch Tuesday. :grin: