Synthetic quilt

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ajf

Synthetic quilt

Post by ajf »

Hi all, first post, regular lurker

I am looking to make a synthetic quilt as both a stand alone lightweight quilt and also as a booster for a down Rab top bag (one of those bags with down just on the top weighing in at roughly 400g).

I am guessing a quilt on top of a bag will damage loft therefore the down isn't as insulating? Can't fit inside the bag as it is a slim fit bag anyway.

Is using a modular synthetic quilt on top of down a bad idea in general or will the benefits outweight the slight negative?

I am thinking of using Climashield apex 4oz which apparently should be good on its own to 5C (40F) as a single layer. The lack of a need to baffle is also a massive win for a simple quilt!

I suspect with the down bag underneath I should be able to boost its warmth but I have no idea how much? Any ideas?

Also any recommends for material for the outer? As its Climashield it doesn't need to be downproof which gives me more options but still want it to be very light.
whitestone

Re: Synthetic quilt

Post by whitestone »

Can't help you with the build but this talks about layering quilts http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/blo ... old-temps/ and what to watch out for.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ajf

Post by ajf »

Cheers for that, was looking at their quilt as a bit of inspiration but hadn't noticed the link.

This was the other one I was reading http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/double_up
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It will prevent the lower bag lofting but given the weight of the quilt, you won't really notice any difference ... it doesn't stop us from using bivvy bags :wink:

Apex is good stuff but does tend to catch on the machine when sewing, so you'll need to be a little careful. The outer could be virtually anything, silnylon, uncoated ripstop, whatever ... no need to really worry about breathability as the stitching will allow enough air in for 'lofting'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ajf

Post by ajf »

Fair point about bivvys.

Wouldn't the breath-ability of material stop any condensation being built up though? Same as a non breathable bivvy can be pretty bad for a down bag?

Can see that's fine for a stand alone quilt but maybe not for a top quilt with down underneath?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wouldn't the breath-ability of material stop any condensation being built up though? Same as a non breathable bivvy can be pretty bad for a down bag?
Ah yes, very good point. In that case, simple non-coated ripstop should do the job nicely.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ajf wrote:Fair point about bivvys.

Can see that's fine for a stand alone quilt but maybe not for a top quilt with down underneath?
From the link I posted above it appears as if condensation build up depends in part on where the dew point lies between you and the outside environment. Ideally it lies outside your insulation. There's a temperature gradient from your body to the outside and the dew point will sit somewhere along this, it follows that your insulation shouldn't be perfect, i.e the outer edge of your insulation should be above ambient, to allow this temperature gradient to continue outside your insulation otherwise the dew point must form within it.

A material that is impermeable to body vapour alters the above as vapour may not even reach as far out as the dew point.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A material that is impermeable to body vapour alters the above as vapour may not even reach as far out as the dew point.
Very true Bob, hence vapour barrier bag liners, etc. Obviously lots of other things can effect just where the dew point falls, even something simple like being under a tarp rather than directly outside will alter it.
ajf

Post by ajf »

I have to admit I skim read the dew point stuff on the post.

Re-reading the article and your posts, it would suggest that a good wind-proof and shower-proof outer is a good idea but for the inner of the quilt, something a bit more breathable and less windproof would be good (and cheaper). At least to get the dew point past the down?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure why you'd use a windproof material for the inner other than simplicity in purchasing - if the outer shell is genuinely "wind proof" (or very close) then it and the insulation will prevent any draught getting to you. Any lightweight insulation proof material should do.
ajf

Post by ajf »

Not sure why you'd use a windproof material for the inner other than simplicity in purchasing
Simplicity of purchase yep, also the lighterweight stuff seems to be windproof by default.

So top material

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Rips ... 7D346.html

Bottom at the moment

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Nylo ... :1518.html

although was thinking this

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Rips ... :1970.html

so I could have a red and black quilt which I think would look quite good plus it does not specifically say windproof or showerproof

Simple 2m in length square with drawstring foot and some toggles.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You wouldn't go wrong with any of those, although I'd probably just go for Pertex top and bottom.

If you go black on the inside it'll dry faster :geek:
ajf

Post by ajf »

Nearly finished my quilt. Decided on pertex outer throughout, climashield apex that should get me near 4 degrees.

I need to straw a drawstring to the bottom and I have added d rings along the side, these need to be reinforced.

Its coming along well though for a first MYOG project

ajf

Post by ajf »

So finished reinforcing d rings and done drawstring. Bloody hell that was a bit fiddly.

Weighs in at exactly 600grams. Few little messy bits but really quite neat for my first myog.

Question is what next?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done sir, it's not easy stuff to work with :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ajf wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 pm So finished reinforcing d rings and done drawstring. Bloody hell that was a bit fiddly.

Weighs in at exactly 600grams. Few little messy bits but really quite neat for my first myog.

Question is what next?
Just seen this. Thanks for the link. Hopefully the new (to you) bag will sit nicely with this here work of art :-bd