Tarp tent.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Joshvegas

Tarp tent.

Post by Joshvegas »

I have a notion to build a tarptent, essentially its will be a 3x3 tarp with a midgie net box with a bathtub floor. The thinking being I currently use a 3x3 and like the fact it can be flaoting for fine weather or made into an almost enclosed tent by moving the poles under the tarp and creating a beaktype arrangement. By sewing the mesh in the wall will hang vertically.

Really not bothered about it being ultra light and I don't want it to be super expensive or require great care.

Two questions are, is there anything obvioiusly wrong with the plan and what sort of silnylon or alternative weight should I be looking at?
Charliecres

Re: Tarp tent.

Post by Charliecres »

Interested to see how you get on. Pics required!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is there anything obvioiusly wrong with the plan
Not really but I'd suggest sewing the beaks in as an extra. Moving the poles under a flat tarp does allow you to form a beak but it tends to leave the tarp a little 'flappy'. The main seam will be under a lot of stress, look on-line for 'flat felled seam' and use that to join the 2 lengths together, anything else will likely fail ... oh and you won't be able to produce a 3m x 3m tarp easily as the material will be 1.5m wide, so once you allow for the seam / edges it'll be nearer 2.8m.
what sort of silnylon or alternative weight should I be looking at?
If you're using Sil then you'll want 90g/m minimum. PU coated will be a cheaper and easier to work with option as it's not as slippery as Sil, look for something 110g - 140g/m. Don't forget to order extra material to use as reinforcement patches for the tie-out points, again they're under a lot of stress so don't skimp on them. A big semi-circle patch will spread the load much better than a triangle. You can glue them into position with silicone adhesive before sewing, also make sure the tie-outs are sewn through the hem too as they'll be one of the strongest parts ... if not the tarp will tear just above the reinforcement patches.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

3x3 was just a number plucked from my dd tarp not a hard dimension by any means.

Interesting about beaks and flapage, I quite often set my tarp up with a heavy beak in the front but its a pretty beefy thing so I guess a lighter tarp will be more flappy?
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Forgot to say thanks, I appreciate the advice!
drjon

Post by drjon »

you seen this?

http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html

basically a how to...