Myog mini-tarp advice

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

evilgoat

Myog mini-tarp advice

Post by evilgoat »

For bb200 I'm thinking of making a mini tarp. Thinking something big enough to cover head to waist, as if (when) I stop I'll be using a hunka bivi bag.

I have some light coated fabric, was thinking of putting in corner and midpoint eyelets round the edge with some reinforcements.

So how big should I make it or how small could I get away with? Idea is to keep it light and packing small.

I think the fabric is 1.5m wide.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Myog mini-tarp advice

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Most seem to be something like 1.4m x 1.2m. I looked at getting a batch made but couldn't really see the point, for very little extra weight you could make a 1.4m x 2.4m tarp that would keep all of you dry and will be much easier to set up. One issue with a microtarp is, what do you use to hold it up ... whatever you use will be in your way, so that usually means off-setting a pole and pretty much rules out using a bike. I think this is why TN show there's with the bottom of the bag poking out the 'wrong' end.

May the bridges you burn light your way
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

Ha, the rain would run straight off that on to your legs and be horribly uncomfortable and annoying.

I was thinking of going 1.5 x 1.8m. have to see how much material I have. Will have a play in the garden with set ups.
barney

Post by barney »

to be honest I use a 1 man sil-tarp and it takes up no space or weight whatsoever. With that in mind is it really worth it when you can sleep completely covered and have all your kit inside as well ?

p.s. I'll be using mine for the BB200 instead of my Rig7 for that very reason
Wait for me...
evilgoat

Post by evilgoat »

The spare piece of coated fabric I have is 1.45m X 2m.

Decided that should do the job, weighs 180g.

Rigged in the garden using stones as anchor points, tested by watering can and children.

Now to sew some anchor points on it.