Oooh a new stove.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Oooh a new stove.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While out with FantasticMrMatt the other week he very kindly made a brew with his clone cone and Trail Designs 10-12 stove. While the cone was lovely I felt the stove was somewhat lacking, granted it's seen a bit of use but had now fallen apart and was in 3 pieces (although it still worked if you put it together). I also tend to think that anything made from pop cans is fragile and requires careful handling ... anyway, I decided to see if I could possibly build a centre burner for use in a cone and hopefully improve on the design of the standard 10-12.

Trail Designs standard 10-12 stove that comes with Caldera Cones, etc.

Prototype replacement.

I added an internal wick to help prevent any nasty moments when / if the stove gets knocked over ... kind of 'spill-proof'.

Placement of the air jets is critical and will greatly affect how well the stove performs ... as £10 of scrap aluminium will testify.

Centre burners tend to burn 'rich' until you put them in situ then something magical happens.

The 10-12 has a priming pan / ring on the outside but I don't see the point on a centre burner so we don't have one. The height is the same but the width has been reduced and at 15g it weighs a whole 1g less than the 10-12 :-bd

It might find even it's way into production seeing as it's not soley limited to use in a cone ... might have to think of a better name than the Tit stove though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Re: Oooh a new stove.

Post by Gari »

Been thinking of getting a Caldera for a while now, if this came/comes with a cone I'd be in for sure.
That flame pattern is pretty groovy BTW.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Looks very interesting that, been looking at the 'cone' designs for a while now, as said above, any plans for these to come as a kit/cone ready?

Drew
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The big problem with cones (from a production point) is each one is sized for a specific pot ... if something could be produced that was a little more universal, perhaps 2-3 sizes to cover mugs upto 1450ml pots, then it could be a winner. I'd also prefer to get them profile cut rather than using a 'knife and fork' as some cones appear to have been :wink:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nice! Must be lots of people using Alpkit MyTimugs, I reckon...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Must be lots of people using Alpkit MyTimugs
That's what I thought, so I've had an initial play about this morning.

Results are quite promising so far ... .5L of water to a proper rolling boil (non of your namby pamby bubbles) in 4m 35s on 15ml of fuel. That's with a windshield designed for the job but not a cone as I wanted everything to fit inside the mug and a cone would be too tall. I've got some unwanted turbulance within the windshield but once that's sorted I'd expect that boil time to drop a bit more.
Matt

Post by Matt »

his clone cone
'tis a real one :wink:

I can't better it (yet)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Results are quite promising so far ... .5L of water to a proper rolling boil (non of your namby pamby bubbles) in 4m 35s on 15ml of fuel. That's with a windshield designed for the job but not a cone as I wanted everything to fit inside the mug and a cone would be too tall. I've got some unwanted turbulance within the windshield but once that's sorted I'd expect that boil time to drop a bit more.
I know that no one else cares but I've managed to knock more than 40 seconds off the previous time of 4m 35s, so we're now entering high power gas stove territory ... doesn't sound like much but it's taken me all day :roll:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Been looking at the shape of that stove Stu, and wondering a where / what that came off

I've now started studying at the profiles of metal spray bottles. Makes the weekly shop in Morrisons much more interesting :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you want a prototype field testing let me know :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Been looking at the shape of that stove Stu, and wondering a where / what that came off

I've now started studying at the profiles of metal spray bottles. Makes the weekly shop in Morrisons much more interesting
I buy all my stuff in boxes of 100 ... you'll find something suitable in the supermarket but remember you really want alloy not steel.

After spending yesterday in the workshop I returned this morning to try and make the stove a bit more controllable, something that meths isn't renowned for. Now we can go from full power (which is very full) to just simmering via numerous heat options.

Stove just below full power.

Now just below half power.

A gentle simmer for those delicate dishes you don't want to ruin.

Oh and remember kids ... stoves get very hot, don't be tempted to use your hand to steady it when you adjust it ... twice :roll:

Matt

Post by Matt »

Could this be the only 15g stove that requires 1KG welding gloves :shock:
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

Lol
Attachments
you didn't want to do it like that!
you didn't want to do it like that!
enfield_3.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

s8tannorm wrote:
Oh and remember kids ... stoves get very hot, don't be tempted to use your hand to steady it when you adjust it ... twice :roll:

Ow :o

Keep up the good work though. Interesting stuff to which I can't add anything apart from encouragement :cool:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm really interested in this one :cool:

(I was also thinking about an anodised coloured finish on the mini alu stoves when I figures it wasn't silly money to get all the bits needed to do home anodising providing I am going to anodise more than just a mini meths stove!) I wonder how heat resistant it is.

Anyway, keep up the good work R&D work stu :-bd
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Have to admit to not really being that interested in meths stoves. Always use a small primus with gas canister... Nothing fancy.

But, I have to admit, that your cone stove has really caught my eye Stu, especially with the outer ring for control.

I think that is really smart...

Si
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Is it too early to put in an order for one of these with a cone that will pack inside a MyTimug? :cool:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Zippy wrote:I'm really interested in this one :cool:

(I was also thinking about an anodised coloured finish on the mini alu stoves when I figures it wasn't silly money to get all the bits needed to do home anodising providing I am going to anodise more than just a mini meths stove!) I wonder how heat resistant it is.

Anyway, keep up the good work R&D work stu :-bd
Ghillie Kettles come in hard anodised. I think a couple of ours are done in silver. Unblemished, which is a marked improvement over the painted versions. Not that it really matters as they get bent and battered through general use.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"Is it too early to put in an order for one of these with a cone that will pack inside a MyTimug?"

Aye possibly a touch early. The stove will certainly happen but I'm not sure about a cone ... the stove's very fast and actually very fuel efficient (15ml / 0.5L) but put it inside a cone and the speed drops. Simply, the volume of the cone is too small to allow enough air into the stove and gases out (unless you want a cone that's so full of holes it does nothing to block the wind) ... a well designed cylinder on the other hand
Matt

Post by Matt »

Worth noting that one of the big advantages to the cone is it's stability.

The big footprint and the way it holds the mug mean that it's really stable even on "non optimal" ground
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Cone/cyclinder - I don't care but I would like something that lives inside the mug when not in use. I'm using a MYOG two-part cylinder at the moment that's very stable and works well but nests around the mug, which makes it a bit bulky to fit in a frame bag. It's not a big deal but I'd be happier with everything inside the mug.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"Cone/cyclinder - I don't care but I would like something that lives inside the mug when not in use. I'm using a MYOG two-part cylinder at the moment that's very stable and works well but nests around the mug, which makes it a bit bulky to fit in a frame bag. It's not a big deal but I'd be happier with everything inside the mug."

Yeah, everything will fit inside a Mytimug.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yeah, everything will fit inside a Mytimug.
This is brilliant news!

I've been trying to get my sleeping bag inside my mug for ages but haven't worked it out. Glad you managed to do it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm not overly familiar with the cone stoves.

But am I right in thinking you need a pot stand of some description?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not overly familiar with the cone stoves.

But am I right in thinking you need a pot stand of some description?
Yes and no Dave. The 'cone' refers to the shape of the combined windshield/pot stand rather than the stove ... to confuse things it just so happens my stove is a bit cone shaped :wink: