Oooh a new stove.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Oooh a new stove.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For whoever was asking for a video ... please remember I make stoves, not videos :wink:

https://vimeo.com/108582098?utm_source= ... cwMQ%3D%3D
May the bridges you burn light your way
Karl

Post by Karl »

Stu,

Is the afterburner ready to buy now? I noted you said it would come with everything, is that right?

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the afterburner ready to buy now? I noted you said it would come with everything, is that right?
Just waiting on a batch of windshield material arriving and we're good to go.

It'll include - stove, windshield and suports, fuel bottle and instructions ... you'll have to supply your own plywood :wink:
barney

Post by barney »

Stu,

Much as I would like to I really don't need another stove, on the other hand my own windshield is pretty crap.

Would you be selling the shields on their own at all?

cheers
Wait for me...
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Quite fancy one of these stoves to replace my chinese trangia copy.
Put me down for one please.
Grubby little urchin.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Okay, first batch is ready to go. They're not in the shop yet and possibly won't be for another week or so but if anyone would like one in the meantime they can.

Full kit: AfterBurner stove, windshield/stand, fuel bottle and destructions. All fits inside a 750ml Mytimug (pre - new one) although I wouldn't really recommend keeping your fuel in there. Stove will also work with a Caldera Cone ... in case your Trail Designs 12-10 has fallen to bits.

Stove - 23g
Windshield - 28g
Bottle - 14g

Paypal £27.80 to stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk if you'd like one or hangfire and await a verdict from the first ones that went out today.
Would you be selling the shields on their own at all?
Yes Mark, I'll sort out some universal windshields.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hi Stu,
Interested in replacing my Jetboil with one of these, you say it fits in the 750ml MyTi mug, the new 650ml is 95mm ID by 99mm height, do you think it will fit in this as well? I don't have the old one so can't compare dimensions. Sorry if it's been discussed earlier in the thread but cba to read the lot.
Cheers
Duncan
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hi Stu,
Interested in replacing my Jetboil with one of these, you say it fits in the 750ml MyTi mug, the new 650ml is 95mm ID by 99mm height, do you think it will fit in this as well? I don't have the old one so can't compare dimensions. Sorry if it's been discussed earlier in the thread but cba to read the lot.
Cheers
Duncan
I'll have a check, it might be that the windshield will need shortening by a few mm but that's not any trouble.

UPDATE: Windshield will fit if I reduce the height by 5mm but the fuel bottle won't ... I wouldn't be keeping my fuel in my pot though given a choice.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote:... I wouldn't be keeping my fuel in my pot though given a choice.
No, not a good idea. I had meths leak into my only cooking pot on a long European trip and it took ten days before my food was no longer tainted by the taste of it, disgusting :sad: .
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Is this ^^ a meths only issue? I would assume pure ethanol would not leave a lingering taste / smell if it leaked?
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

The disgusting stuff isnt the actual meths is the additive they put in it to stop people (especially of the alcoholic variety) drinking the stuff - I imagine ethanol in particular would have this added, being as it doesnt send you blind like meths so is better for the more descerning alcoholic
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I imagine ethanol in particular would have this added, being as it doesnt send you blind like meths so is better for the more descerning alcoholic
That's good to know, I always thought it was 'the other thing' that made you blind ... as a non drinker, I now feel happy to carry on :wink:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

ha ha can't say i've seen a paper on that - but now you mention it my eyesight started going down hill in my teens . . .
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

I've never tried it, and I may be showing my ignorance of chemistry, but I'm guessing Methanol would burn similar to methylated spirit.
£35 for 25l, which should keep you going for a bit.
It was used in old trucks to stop the air brakes freezing, so you should be able to get it from your local truck spares supplier in 5l cans.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Methanol has a higher vaporization pressure so may burn a little faster / hotter. It is also pretty toxic through inhalation, ingestion and contact with the skin so probably not the best cooking fuel.
The methanol used in air brakes also tends to have additional additives.

Methanol is what is added (along with other, mainly toxic, chemicals) to ethanol to make methylated spirits but can be added in quantities anywhere from 1 to 80% to denature the ethanol.
It is worth shopping around for a meths with lower methanol content.
VeganGraham

Post by VeganGraham »

Fair enough, I was thinking that if it's a pure alcohol it wouldn't contaminate food containers.
It's a long time since I used it though and I'd forgotten all about the "distinctive odour"
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Recently bought some meths in B&Q and was surprised as it was clear (yes its real meths not substitute).
I always thought meths was purple
2924 miles per Gallon
Joshvegas

Re: Oooh a nehiw stove.

Post by Joshvegas »

The purple is a dye (methyl violet or something like that)

I also have some barely purple meths.

Its a kind of misleading name i will rename methylated vodka.

I tasted it once just to see what it was like.

I wouldn't recommend
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Joshvegas wrote:The purple is a dye (methyl violet or something like that)

I also have some barely purple meths.

Its a kind of misleading name i will rename methylated vodka.

I tasted it once just to see what it was like.

I wouldn't recommend
I always thought the purple dye was added to indicate that it had been denatured which means made unfit to consume by making it taste bad or even adding poisons.

I tasted it once too, even the addition of ice and fresh orange didn't help :wink: .
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

For reference Boots Surgical Spirit is 90% Ethanol 5% Methanol. £5 for 500ml I think so more expensive than meths but it's generally easier to find a chemist. Now someone tell me why I shouldn't be burning it. ;-)

I was also confused as to why the chemist asked me what I was using it for last time I bought it. I then walked outside and saw a group of people who were clearly alcoholics sat on a bench. Should I be offended? :roll:

Oh and leaking surgical spirit does leave a taste as well but didn't kill me. :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I think chemists have to ask what you want meths for because they are legally obliged to. "Well I'm not going to drink it, you can buy a half decent bottle of wine for less" I usually reply :wink: .
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

You could reply perfectly correctly with "i use it to make tea" i wonder how that would go down!
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Sorry if im a dullard, I've not really used alcohol stoves before...for a while ive been addicted to pressurised petrol in my msr :cool:

if i pay for one of these stoves, other than a shiny Ti mug and some meths, what else will i need to buy before i can cook?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

if i pay for one of these stoves, other than a shiny Ti mug and some meths, what else will i need to buy before i can cook?
The AfterBurner (the stove the post's about) includes everything else required ... except a match :wink:
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Fab, thank you!