Semi-MYOG Dynamo regulator mod

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Semi-MYOG Dynamo regulator mod

Post by johnnystorm »

With the weather being utter crap I decided to have a play with the Dahon Biologic ReeCharge Dynamo regulator. In the thread I first mentioned it a link was made to a thread on another forum outlining how they could fail if they are plugged in to a fully charged device, or not plugged in and then subjected to a sustained downhill.

With that in mind I popped down to Maplin & then dusted off the soldering iron!

The original design has the regulator ziptied to the fork leg which imho is a bit daft.

Changes made:

1. Shorten usb output cable so regulator unit & device being charged can be stored together in a weatherproof bag without 3ft of surplus cable

2. Put in a switch to isolate the unit to reduce likelyhood of issues highlighted above

3. Lengthen the lead from the hub to the unit so it can reach a bar bag

It was surprisingly hard to find a suitable switch. I've made one from a small box and a mini toggle switch. It's not ideal but it'll do for now.

The usb end wasn't twin core but co-ax as I discovered when I cut it... :???: I wasn't convinced I'd be able to join it back up again.

Pleased to say that it does work (for now). So now I can do lights/charging/both/neither. Some nice weather to test it in wouldn't go amiss....
IMG_20140527_181115_20140527232822354.jpg
IMG_20140527_181115_20140527232822354.jpg (92.64 KiB) Viewed 1463 times