wind shield/heat reflector

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

wind shield/heat reflector

Post by composite »

So tentative first steps into this forum and my first MYOG. :smile:

I made a wind shield/heat reflector from a silver foil serving platter. A pack of two platters cost £1 from the pound shop. I folded one of the long edges up to give a straight edge for it to stand on. Then used a rolling pin to flatten the crease and the "tube" edging. The fact that the edges are finished means you don't cut yourself on them like you might on think tin foil off the roll. I folded into 4 and there we have it, done.

It will slide into most bags, I put it along the back of the frame bag. As it is flexible it will bend to what ever shape it needs to so doesn't really take up any space. When it breaks I have a spare tray already so I'll make another one. :-bd

Ray Young

Re: wind shield/heat reflector

Post by Ray Young »

Nice wee job there composite. I use the same tray for my windshield and they work very well. It will eventually split along the fold lines but at 50p a shot you can't complain.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very good Neil.

Might be worth popping a few holes along the bottom of the back edge, otherwise you might find the flame gets drawn away from the back towards the opening ... wouldn't take much, 4 - 5 10mm holes would suffice or you could cut some slots and just fold them up.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Neil
That's a much better job than ours. Good plan.

Stuart, should we also add some holes for use with the bearbones meth stove?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stuart, should we also add some holes for use with the bearbones meth stove?
I'll say yes ... but much depends on how much bigger diameter the shield is than the stove / pot and whether you close the shield around the pot or leave a gap as in Neils picture.

If you cut some vertical slots (1/2" long) in the bottom of the windshield you should be able to fold the material up to produce adjustable vents. From there you can play around and see what works best.

If the windshield is quite tall and / or not much bigger diameter than the pot it's worth putting some 'chimney' holes around the top ... sometimes these will actually need to be bigger that the air intake holes at the base to get the best burn ... part science - part magic :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Thanks Stuart.