MYOG bar harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

MYOG bar harness

Post by Charliecres »

bar harness 3.jpg
(231.27 KiB) Downloaded 1950 times
Thought I'd post a pic or two of my bar harness. I've used it a couple of times now, including Spar and Back, and it seems to work pretty well. It holds a 13-20 litre dry bag solidly and allows the bag to be added or removed by clipping/unclipping three buckles. It's pretty adjustable as the bar mounts and straps run through webbing that's sewn at intervals across the main body, meaning they can be moved to suit the bike or load. The bungee cord is really useful for carrying an extra layer (or even a small carrier bag of food from the Spar).

I used a couple of 6mm (I think) alloy tubes as stiffeners, running in the diagonal pockets on the pad, to stop the load rubbing on the head tube. This works really well.
Bar harness 4.jpg
(206.15 KiB) Downloaded 1950 times
I did lots of online research and head-scratching before going for this design. It's influenced by the Alpkit harness in particular, although I've never actually seen one in the flesh.

The straps are still too long. I'll trim them once I've used it a bit more with different loads and I'm confident there's no more tweaking required. I may also replace the bar mount straps with velcro, although the existing webbing/buckle arrangement works fine.
bar harness1.jpg
(121.21 KiB) Downloaded 1950 times
Ray Young

Re: MYOG bar harness

Post by Ray Young »

Superb job, very pro. I replaced a couple of buckles on the one I made with velcro as I think I used ones that where too small. They clip on one side of the buckle would sometimes pop open and it was also a pain getting them done up tight enough.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

That looks very impressive. Sounds like it is very adjustable too. What does it weigh?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

314 grams. I reckon it'll be in the high 200s once I've trimmed the excess webbing and swapped the bar straps and buckles for Velcro.
royAB

Post by royAB »

A quick/cheap version;

'Wrap' (very tough but can cut holes with a Stanley, punch etc) from a derelict wheelie suitcase.
Straps from the spares drawer
'keyhole' slits to thread other straps for additional bags. (the molle approach)
Weight 180gm (cut more holes to lighten)
Construction time about an hour
Lasted 2 years so far.

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Neat! Any pics of that fitted? I can't quite picture what goes where and how it attaches to the bars.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I had a go at making one.
I copied the well designed and well made harness from Wildcat. Mine is a poor replica and heavier but is effective.

MYOG Bar Harness by pushbikemike, on Flickr
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Nice one Mike, any pictures of it loaded?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Cheers ray. No pics of it loaded yet. Made it as a spare for anyone joining me on a bivi. Also did a basic one with just straps. Currently working on a frame bag for the full Sus bike and got plans for a new bivi bag after seeing yours. :wink:
scrumfled

Post by scrumfled »

I've discovered the worst thing about MYOG. You sit down over a cuppa, scribble out a 'clever' idea.... then go to look up materials and see someones beaten you to the punch (looking at you, roy!). Oh well, if ya cant beat em... etc

Mike, your material choice looks interesting, can i ask what it is?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Materials came from point north. Cordura 500. A rubberised material on the other side to grip the dry bag. Webbing and buckles. And some yoga mat as padding inside the cordura and rubber material.
scrumfled

Post by scrumfled »

Cheers :)