MYOG Fail.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

MYOG Fail.

Post by Ray Young »

The tyvek bivi bag I made failed on me when I was last out. Basically it tore down the seam for about 18" when I was struggling to get out of it whilst still under the tarp. Oh well.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: MYOG Fail.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never mind Ray ... that's how we find out what works, what doesn't and how to make stuff better :geek:
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Did the material fail Ray?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote:Did the material fail Ray?
Yes, the material tore along the side of the glued seam, not the seam itself. Could of avoided it if I had been more careful but you know what it's like, it's raining outside, tarp set lowish, struggling to get out of sleeping bag/bivi bag without touching wet ground or underside of tarp as it had a bit of condensation on it, bit of pressure in the wrong place and rrrrip. The edge where the tear started was straigh cut, maybe if I had hemmed it it wouldn't have torn. As a bivi bag material I think it is still viable, light, warm, breathable and waterproof enough for use under a tarp. Might have another go at some point.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Ray Young wrote:
pushbikemike wrote:Did the material fail Ray?
The edge where the tear started was straigh cut, maybe if I had hemmed it it wouldn't have torn.
Makes sense. Good luck with MkII.