Double fixed hub

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chris n

Double fixed hub

Post by chris n »

I ride fixed most of the time and like the idea of a fixed gear, disc braked bike. Built a Pompetamine up just after Christmas with a bolt on Velosolo cog on the disc mount of my SS 29er wheels, but this means that a) I can't run a back brake and 2) my 29er doesn't have any wheels. There are only two solutions out there that I can see for fixed disc hubs - Phil Wood or Surly and both are over £100. I also really like the bolt on cogs, so decided to make my own:

It only exists on CAD at the moment, but I've done some rough 2D drawings and ordered the raw material, bearings and seals and hope to start making it next week.
FLV

Re: Double fixed hub

Post by FLV »

Excellent !

I also have a front hub (I know yours is rear) part designed. I was trying to do something fancy with the spoke lengths, using 26er spokes on a 29er wheels but it didnt work. unsurprisingly...

I'm sure you have thought of it and checked, but make sure the spokes can go through the holes past the disc mounts on both sides :smile:
chris n

Post by chris n »

You can see the spoke holes relative to the disc mount on the left hand side - the hub is symmetrical. Should be fine, but I'll go back and check tomorrow. It's loosely based on a Shimano XT hub.I might need to get a longer boring bar for the lathe yet - need to have a good think about how I'm actually going to make it first.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm sure it'll be fine, I wasnt basing the comment on your model at all, twas just a thought.

I'm looking forward to it materialising.

Out of curiosity, how goods your lathe?
Is it a personal one, and would you be interested in machining some bits if I get round to finishing my design?

Basically I can use prototyping and one off companies but its pricey. Especially since I'm not doing anything radical and you can buy a hope relatively cheaply.
chris n

Post by chris n »

It's quite good, but it's not mine - it's at work. I might be interested in machining some parts but at the moment I don't have time (and I'm not that experienced). Would definitely like to take a look at what you're proposing though.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Some big chunks of aluminium just arrived:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I want a lathe!
chris n

Post by chris n »

Bearings and seals: