Antidote to the 'modern world'.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Antidote to the 'modern world'.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, this is not directly anything to do with pushbikes but bear with me as it is kind of relevant ... I needed something quite specific for a project that no one produces and so can't simply be bought. The only option was to make one, so I set to with a hacksaw and file and did just that. As I was beavering away, I got to thinking just how satisfying producing something with basic tools is. It's feels so different from the 3D modeled world we inhabit and kind of feels like an antidote to it.

Anyway, as you were.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Re: Antidote to the 'modern world'.

Post by Lazarus »

Hub extraction tool?
Bearing press?

your bodged together tool look considerably higher quality than mine
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Looks good.

There's very little that can't be produced with a few tools, skill and a lot of time. I read a book once about ancient technology that was fascinating. For instance, the first coin operated vending machine dates from way-before BC. It was outside a temple and dispensed cups of 'holy' water :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hub extraction tool?
Bearing press?
A cam chain tensioner John. The standard ones are automatic and they can back off under heavy deceleration ... this one won't / can't.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Very nice :geek:
Must have taken a hell of a lot of filing and polishing!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Must have taken a hell of a lot of filing and polishing!
Probably 3 hours from a 50mm x 25mm lump of aluminium to finished Dave.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Stuart - I've have used a lump of 1/4" steel plate and just hacked it out with a saw :grin: , always good to see proper craftsmanship :-bd
I take it this is for the CB250 supernightmare? :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I take it this is for the CB250 supernightmare?
It is Phil. I've now (in my head) christened it project 'Time Bomb' given its intended purpose and potential to self-destruct :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Have you considered the chain friction losses* on power output Stu?

(Looks great by the way)

(*small I imagine)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Drive to and pumping losses from the blower are likely to be the biggest draw Steve. I've purposefully used an oversize blower so I can keep the drive ratio lower and spin the blower slower. In theory this should help reduce the losses, increase blower life and also reduce heat build up in the intake charge ... the enemy of blown engines with no option to use an intercooler.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice,

Reminds me of the neighbouring farmer who had trained as a mechanic. The firing mechanism of his shotgun had broken. It was some indeterminate firearm and wasn't proofed so no-one would touch it so he got a billet of brass and made his own!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Sounds good, I do like a bit of diy tech. Much more interesting than reading about the latest GSXR Firew@nk mega rocket thing. What supercharger are you using?

A project time bomb build up thread would go down well :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Much more interesting than reading about the latest GSXR Firew@nk mega rocket thing.
My interest ended at the turn of the 21st century Rob,
What supercharger are you using?
It's an AMR 500. Most folk I imagine would have chosen a 300 but for the reasons above, I went bigger.
A project time bomb build up thread would go down well
I'll not inflict that on folk. The odd mention here and there if something notable happens along the way :wink:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I agree - even the bodgiest of bodges, that gets something working, is sooooo satisfying
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

The last time I did any precision hacksawing and filing was when I was an apprentice. We did a module in the fitting and turning shop, and if you were caught leaving a chuck key unattended in the lathe chuck, the punishment was to make your own medal. This had to be hacksawed from a bar of 100mm silver steel, and it was filed until it was 5mm thick and each side was perfectly flat (checked by an instructor on the surface plate), and flawless to the naked eye. When it was deemed acceptable you had to wear it until you finished the module.
I only had to make one.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Having bought BSH for the write up on project death trap, a few photos of the build would be great!

What’s the plan etc?

Cheers Rob
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Very good point there Stu. I've always gone for simple cars (ie. not needing a computer to reset the, erm, computer, after a simple service). Got the 21 year old Lexus and because I'm sick of mechanics screwing over the cars or not putting back things properly...

So far, amongst other things I've:
  • Removed the rear door panel as the door wouldn't open from the inside and it was just the ball end of the linkage cable a previous idiot mechanic hadn'tslotted back in place.

Removed the cover for the telescopic electrical adjusting steering wheel which was very screechy and wouldn't tilt. It was just seized with rust so I teflon-bike-sprayed it. Used a but too much and the tilt started working aswell as the telescopic thing losing the screech. Sadly I lost the tilt function as by the time it became unsiezed, I'd fried the tilt motor :-bd

Got rid of the ashtray smell inside by various methods and almost replaced the cabin filter - they'd sent the wrong part
That thing you made... well done, looks like a piece of art rather than a tool :grin:

*If anyone can explain how the 'make a list' function works from the top menu, that'd be great, thanks.
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

My 18 year old son is an apprentice working on 100 year old Austin 7s, he's constantly making stuff to repair them, all is not lost there's a merry band of youngsters picking these skills up again!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My 18 year old son is an apprentice working on 100 year old Austin 7s, he's constantly making stuff to repair them, all is not lost there's a merry band of youngsters picking these skills up again!
That makes me very happy :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having bought BSH for the write up on project death trap, a few photos of the build would be great!
I'll have a look but I'm not sure I've really got any Rob. May be a few cardboard and tape mock-ups - I'll have a look.

Plan? Not sure I've got one. The Honda is progressing albeit slowly as I'm piecing together a Harris Magnum for someone. It's one of those bikes that was passed from one pair of hands to another without too much ever getting done. It's come here to be finally finished. It most likely housed a Z1000 motor at the start of its life but now has a gsxr 750 lump. So far, I think I've probably spend more time redoing previous work. I took it on, with the caveat that I could build it as though I were doing it for myself ... that's something the owner may regret agreeing to :wink:

Ooh, I've just starting the search for a Buell White Lightning too :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few random bits Rob.

yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:23 am
Ooh, I've just starting the search for a Buell White Lightning too :wink:
Having had a Buell before, the White Lightning is probably the best of them.
Mind and take every single fastening out and threadlock it! Then colour mark them os you can tell the imperial and metric ones apart.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mind and take every single fastening out and threadlock it! Then colour mark them os you can tell the imperial and metric ones apart.
You're talking to a man with a 60-odd year old AJS :wink:
Having had a Buell before, the White Lightning is probably the best of them.
On paper the later X models probably look better but the rawness and hooligan nature of the S1 appeals. I also don't like factory fuel injection.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Definitely works of art! Great stuff!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Great stuff, I watch a US show called Full custom garage where the guy is always making stuff like this for customer projects, I really wish I did something like that for a day job.