Seat pack holster/ harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Seat pack holster/ harness

Post by woodsmith »

One metre length of ally tube from B&Q, bent cold with plumbers microbore tube benders.. Length of 12mm od x 6mm id tube welded across the open end. Brass tube bush inside to sleeve down to suit 5mm socket screw.
I think the brace across the curved end was unnecessary.
Sleeve is 500d cordura with VX21 sides and 25mm webbing with a Velcro tab looped around the bottom brace to prevent the sleeve creeping up. Total weight 200g.
I didn't expect it to last for very long being made from such lightweight materials. It's so far seen 10,000+ miles of use and has been used with the Alpkit and Decathlon tapered dry bags. Image

Shewie

Re: Seat pack holster/ harness

Post by Shewie »

Very smart :-bd

I do like coyote luggage on a bike, your own work?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice workmanship that. As indeed are the other bags. Does the rack pivot on the mountings though? If not, how does the bag get "cinched" (I do dislike that word for some reason!) up by the straps? If the rack is fixed and the seat rails are fixed, how do you tighten the straps to secure the bag? Would it be a more flexible system without the rack? I must be a bit confused today, it was that vanilla stout last night.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Shewie wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:21 pm Very smart :-bd

I do like coyote luggage on a bike, your own work?
Thanks Shewie. Yes all my own work. A mate did the welding on the ally.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:25 pm Very nice workmanship that. As indeed are the other bags. Does the rack pivot on the mountings though? If not, how does the bag get "cinched" (I do dislike that word for some reason!) up by the straps? If the rack is fixed and the seat rails are fixed, how do you tighten the straps to secure the bag? Would it be a more flexible system without the rack? I must be a bit confused today, it was that vanilla stout last night.
The rack is bolted up tight in approx the right position. Wiggle the bag in and tighten the straps. Theres enough springyness in the ally to hold the bag snuggly. A couple of loops of velcro One-wrap around the seatpost stop it from slipping out . It could be made to pivot on the mounts by through bolting the rack mounts on the frame. That was my original intention but at the time I didn't have any bolts long enough and its subsequentley proved unessessary.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah right, fair do's. Very nice anyway!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:07 pm Ah right, fair do's. Very nice anyway!
I meant to add that with it being bolted tight I just leave it in place without the bag in to act as a mudguard and it doesnt bounce around.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

:-bd