If you just want coffee ...

https://www.instructables.com/Teeny-Tiny-Coffee-Stove/

This site has become a bit of a rabbit hole for me
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Re: Hobo stove

Post by benp1 »

It is a good site!

A little bushcrafty tip, you can make your own rocket stove set up by tying together smaller (dry) branches, as long as they're straight enough, to effectively create a rocket stove. Then you can do it with a saw and an axe rather than needing to make any holes

EDIT - forgot that you can also saw, split and then tie it back together. again, means you can use an axe and saw. When I was (sometimes still am) bushcrafting I'll usually have a knife, axe and saw but never carry an auger bit. Even though they really are cool :geek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ben, if you're gonna carry a knife, axe and saw, would you maybe not just be better carrying a stove :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:59 pm Ben, if you're gonna carry a knife, axe and saw, would you maybe not just be better carrying a stove :wink:
Two comments
1 - yes! :shock:
2 - my bushcrafting stuff is usually reserved for travelling by van. there's too much stuff and it's all too heavy/bulky to get on the bike. Plus I need different clothes, different kit, different food, yada yada yada. But you can't beat some bushcraft tv (an open fire :-bd )
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think I might have to make a few of these to use as everyday cookers:

Had an email that Brit Gas will switch my parents to a new tariff in February that sees their gas DOUBLING in price and electricity up 70%. What intrigues me is the standing charge is doubling as well as the kWh. The power companies infrastructure costs have gone up by 100% as well the gas itself? Taking the piss as usual I reckon.

Just had one of my occasional spats with the BoE haranguing them about their inflation statistics lies. CPI at 4%? Strange maths there when big-ticket regular items have rocketed way more than that: housing costs up >10%, cars >12%, power >70-100%, council tax >5%, food & drink >8%, etc etc. I also find it curious that current inflation is blamed on the "world's economies opening up again 'after' the pandemic". I didn't notice prices of things, and therefore inflation, correspondingly plummeting 'during' the pandemic, when demand dropped.

Things are going to be interesting next year. Good job we like sleeping in ditches - might be the most economical place to be.

I'm increasing my investments in thermal underware companies as we speak :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reg, these days the CPI includes things like cinema tickets, a new car, dental charges. Full list on the spreadsheet available here - https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflatio ... ndservices - it's on Annex A. There are 46 groups of items, food is just one. Looking at the list I suspect I don't purchase much more than a third of the sample items listed - 2.2 tobacco - for example. 5.1.1 - dining furniture?

There's probably some weighting on each item based on how often the "average" household buys them.

Apart from that, yeah, food prices have gone silly, not just a couple of percent here and there quite a few things have jumped 30-50%, some have doubled.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bob, you have stopped Reg in the middle of a proper rant. Shame. Reg ... please, chap, keep going. I'm equally disturbed by the BoE calcs. And as an aside I've written to every petrol company asking them to explain why diesel and other fuels are still 20p more expensive than they should be ... grrrr. None have responded.

Meanwhile, back at instructables.com, as much as I have enjoyed that place over the years, they have missed the point of a true hobo stove. Cut the top of a can, put the contents in a pan, stuff the empty can with dry wood, cut just so it's lower that the lid, tip in a few ml of your preferred accelerant + match + stand back + cook.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

A cinema ticket costs, what, well, less than a tenner if you don't spend another tenner on popcorn; but a house costs, well, more than a tenner, as does fuel, council tax, food, and all the other big ticket stuff. And the latter things continue to be consumed every day and cannot be avoided, they aren't discretionary spending. So the inflation in the cost of watching another crap film is of considerably less import or significance than a roof over my head or cooking my tea. I know there are weightings, but.... well, my view is they are fixed/fiddled.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh and now I know Tim's joining in, and that as a journo he'll sympathise, I'll double-down on the ranting and switch into full pedant mode about the 'instructables' article as well!

"then" > "than"
"of" > "have"

There's bound to be a few "wheres"/"weres" in there somewere, I mean somewhere, as well :roll:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Reg, shhhh, much as I agree with you if they actually get the rate of inflation right they'll follow with interest rates and then my mortgage will go up and I'll have to bivi full time.

Back OT, making that stove looks like a guaranteed lacerated hand, and I've not fully recovered from my stanley knife incident :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm Back OT, making that stove looks like a guaranteed lacerated hand, and I've not fully recovered from my stanley knife incident :lol:
That's exactly what I thought (after thinking 'wow must give that a go') as I'm perfectly capable of giving myself a life threatening injury just opening a normal ring pull can (so far just sprayed lots of blood everywhere but sooner or later the odds will run out) so gawd knows how I'd end up after doing that lot....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 pm Oh and now I know Tim's joining in, and that as a journo he'll sympathise, I'll double-down on the ranting and switch into full pedant mode about the 'instructables' article as well!

"then" > "than"
"of" > "have"

There's bound to be a few "wheres"/"weres" in there somewere, I mean somewhere, as well :roll:
Not to mention the surprising amount of tools, for a "tool free" build
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Dave rightly says at the beginning, here's a better one :wink:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... o+friendly
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:10 am As Dave rightly says at the beginning, here's a better one :wink:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... o+friendly
It's not said nearly enough, but you share some top draw knowledge with us. Appreciated
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Here's one I did - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15566&p=194059#p194059

Top tip to avoid cutting yourself when making the holes - fill the can with water and put into the freezer overnight then the thin metal has some support when you are drilling.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not said nearly enough, but you share some top draw knowledge with us. Appreciated
I tend to think this entire place is a genuine gold mine of info and experience and long may it continue.
Top tip to avoid cutting yourself when making the holes - fill the can with water and put into the freezer overnight then the thin metal has some support when you are drilling.
Cunning Bob :-bd
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Top draw > top drawer

(Just to continue the pedantry)