Carbon bottle cage

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Carbon bottle cage

Post by woodsmith »

Carbon cage for a 64oz Kleen Kanteen. Weighs 67g, half the weight of the Blackburn Outpost cage it replaces :-bd
Still heavier than a Many Things cage :roll:

RIP

Re: Carbon bottle cage

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:16 pm
Still heavier than a Many Things cage :roll:
Which itself is heavier than a gaffer tape bottle cage (13g) :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Which itself is heavier than a gaffer tape bottle cage (13g) :wink:
A what? Illustrations required please.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh dear, wish I hadn't mentioned it now :wink: . Hang on a sec....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Here y'go. Associated bottle only 18g too. On the bars, all well out of the way of all that Welsh sheep poo.

You get a bonus view of the cabletie barbag harness as well, similar weight :smile: .

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 pm Here y'go. Associated bottle only 18g too. On the bars, all well out of the way of all that Welsh sheep poo.

You get a bonus view of the cabletie barbag harness as well, similar weight :smile: .

Ta. Not sure I can get onboard with the rat bike aesthetic. Wouldn't work under the downtube where this one is going. Prime position for sh#t catching :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes my jalopy is a bit Mad Max I have to admit. It's all nicely integrated though and does the job.

Everybody likes a 'system' don't they? My 'hydration system' is that 500ml bottle and cage, a Trailshot or Steripen depending on what day it is, and an empty folded 2L platy (probably, what, 20g?) sometimes useful for extra evening temporary capacity. Have never carried more than 500ml of water - I've noticed over the years that curiously there's loads of it around. Purify 500ml, drink it, purify another 500ml, take it. For some people it's the heaviest single item that they carry on the bike. Come to think of it, at 500+g, in 'summer mode' it's the heaviest that I carry too, so I've shot myself down in flames there :smile: .

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

A carbon cage to hold a steel bottle made smile

How does it work, is it magnetic or are there straps to be added?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shewie wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:29 pm A carbon cage to hold a steel bottle made smile

Magnetic carbon? Interesting!

[edit: I'm just investigating that, seems some forms can be magnetic. Maybe I've misread it. Ongoing...]

[edit: maybe not in pure form. Some experiments show hydrogen doping can alter the electron spins. I expect Stu's probably already reproduced this in his workshop and there'll be a magnetic carbon bottle cage in the Shop soon :smile: ]

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Shewie wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:29 pm A carbon cage to hold a steel bottle made smile

Couple of Voile straps around the downtube to hold it in place.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

You could try bonding some of those super strong neo-doodaa (whatever they're called) rare earth magnets into the carbon.
RIP wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:45 pm Yes my jalopy is a bit Mad Max I have to admit. It's all nicely integrated though and does the job.

Everybody likes a 'system' don't they? My 'hydration system' is that 500ml bottle and cage, a Trailshot or Steripen depending on what day it is, and an empty folded 2L platy (probably, what, 20g?) sometimes useful for extra evening temporary capacity. Have never carried more than 500ml of water - I've noticed over the years that curiously there's loads of it around. Purify 500ml, drink it, purify another 500ml, take it. For some people it's the heaviest single item that they carry on the bike. Come to think of it, at 500+g, in 'summer mode' it's the heaviest that I carry too, so I've shot myself down in flames there :smile: .
Reg, what about in lowland or agricultural areas, would you still be happy to filter and drink? I got a trail shot but haven't used it yet because I understood it didn't remove chemical run-off.

I'd be interested in other people's opinions as well on this subject.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Rob S wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:58 pm You could try bonding some of those super strong neo-doodaa (whatever they're called) rare earth magnets into the carbon.
RIP wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:45 pm Yes my jalopy is a bit Mad Max I have to admit. It's all nicely integrated though and does the job.

Reg, what about in lowland or agricultural areas, would you still be happy to filter and drink? I got a trail shot but haven't used it yet because I understood it didn't remove chemical run-off.

I'd be interested in other people's opinions as well on this subject.
Bottle is stainless so non magnetic. I'm with you on the not wanting to use water sources where there's a chance of agricultural/ industrial runoff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That's a very good question and am also interested in others opinions. Trailshot won't remove heavy metals (beware lead mines etc) or viruses or chemicals, but the Steripen will zap viruses by damaging the DNA, so I've taken both in lowlands. Used both interchangeably in sheepy Wales/Peaks/etc and not had a problem so far. Also used them on lowland rivers and fast streams, cattle troughs and similar, but not in obviously heavy agricultural/industrial/roads hotspots or small ponds I must admit, but mains supply is easy enough there. Paradoxically I reckon if there's 'something' living (fish, insects) in the water that's a good sign not a bad one...?

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 pm That's a very good question and am also interested in others opinions. Trailshot won't remove heavy metals (beware lead mines etc) or viruses or chemicals, but the Steripen will zap viruses by damaging the DNA, so I've taken both in lowlands. Used both interchangeably in sheepy Wales/Peaks/etc and not had a problem so far. Also used them on lowland rivers and fast streams, cattle troughs and similar, but not in obviously heavy agricultural/industrial/roads hotspots or small ponds I must admit, but mains supply is easy enough there. Paradoxically I reckon if there's 'something' living (fish, insects) in the water that's a good sign not a bad one...?
Maybe its a topic worthy of it's own thread in General Chat rather than this less frequented corner of the forum.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair point :smile: . Then again, make 'em work for it :wink:

Strange that people rarely talk about 'filtering' or 'purifying' food too. Judging by the ways how much of it is handled on its journey to one's mouth, I'm surprised it's not more worried about than water.

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 am Fair point :smile: . Then again, make 'em work for it :wink:

Strange that people rarely talk about 'filtering' or 'purifying' food too. Judging by the ways how much of it is handled on its journey to one's mouth, I'm surprised it's not more worried about than water.
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I like my long handled ti spoon and don't cut the handle off my toothbrush like the ultralite community do, I like to keep my hands as far away from my mouth as possible on trail. But then I'm still eating sandwiches, biscuits etc with bare hands which is unavoidable really. But having caught Giardia twice in Scotland I do try to be carefull with food hygene and always filter my water. I suppose for me its about reducing risk where practically possible.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:31 pm Bottle is stainless so non magnetic.
Doh, I didn't think about that :grin:

I got the Loony Bin for my 40oz bottle, not tested it yet though
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:35 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:32 am Fair point :smile: . Then again, make 'em work for it :wink:

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I like my long handled ti spoon and don't cut the handle off my toothbrush like the ultralite community do, I like to keep my hands as far away from my mouth as possible on trail. But then I'm still eating sandwiches, biscuits etc with bare hands which is unavoidable really. But having caught Giardia twice in Scotland I do try to be carefull with food hygene and always filter my water. I suppose for me its about reducing risk where practically possible.
It's the handling by other people that's a slight concern - cafes, pubs, bakers, anywhere really. All good for the immune system I suppose :smile: .

Bad luck with the Giardia. I've never suffered after rides/trips - touch wood touch wood touch wood.

Scotland? Giardia, midges, ticks... payment for the open access that they're always smugly going on about :grin: .

Rob S

Post by Rob S »

A fair bit of my cycling time is spent around the river Nene and it's neighbouring ROW's. It's connected to the Grand Union, and as well as having powered craft on it, it runs through some intensively farmed land. So I decided I didn't fancy drinking it. Every second or third church I visit seems to have a tap though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Might be quite fun to test one's local river: https://www.simplexhealth.co.uk/produ ... AvD_BwE

RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes! It's...... gaffer and cableties time again!

Everyone knows they're the only things you really need in your toolkit, but we also know you can make any bikepacking gear out of them too.

After 4 years or so I've lost the top to my 500ml bottle so I've had to invest in a new one (bottle and top, not just the top - couldn't find one on ebay....).

New bottle (actually filched from Mrs P's cupboard so not 'new' new) at 22g, slightly different shape so needs a new cradle/cage unfortunately. Gaffer, ties, and 10 minutes later at 17g plus 3g for the bar tie we have...

Al

Post by Al »

All for thrifty reusing and repurposing but 4 years is a long time to keep using a bottle like that. As I understand it, the plastic wasn’t designed for long term use and starts to break down releasing bpa and other nasties into your water. Happy to be corrected, but might be worth investigating Reg.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:13 pm Yes! It's...... gaffer and cableties time again!

Everyone knows they're the only things you really need in your toolkit, but we also know you can make any bikepacking gear out of them too.

After 4 years or so I've lost the top to my 500ml bottle so I've had to invest in a new one (bottle and top, not just the top - couldn't find one on ebay....).

New bottle (actually filched from Mrs P's cupboard so not 'new' new) at 22g, slightly different shape so needs a new cradle/cage unfortunately. Gaffer, ties, and 10 minutes later at 17g plus 3g for the bar tie we have...

I have a feeling that Blue Peter had a strong influence on the young Reg. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Al wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:38 am All for thrifty reusing and repurposing but 4 years is a long time to keep using a bottle like that. As I understand it, the plastic wasn’t designed for long term use and starts to break down releasing bpa and other nasties into your water. Happy to be corrected, but might be worth investigating Reg.
Good point Al. Might have to be a yearly replacement from now then. I had wondered why I was feeling a bit strange recently. Well you know, stranger than usual that is.

RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: I have a feeling that Blue Peter had a strong influence on the young Reg. :-bd
Well gaffer is pretty much sticky-backed-plastic on steroids!