DrJon Strapdeck --Klickfix combo.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

DrJon Strapdeck --Klickfix combo.

Post by Richpips »

If you are looking for a solution to mounting a bar bag on your dropbars which leaves the bars clear this mod might help.

Take one drj0n bagworks DeWidget Strapdeck Double Trouble Triple https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessor ... ble-triple

One Rixen & Kaul Basket Fixing Plate https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ing-plate/

One Rixen & Kaul Klick-Fix Handlebar Adapter https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ock-32-mm/

Bolt the strapdeck to the half of the fixing plate that clips into the handlebar adapter. I picked up some washers and M6 bolts from B+Q.

I had to widen the holes in the fixing plate slightly with a drill.

It should make for a nice light fairly bombproof carrying solution. The Rixen Kaul parts are rated for 5kg iirc

ledburner

Re: DrJon Strapdeck --Klickfix combo.

Post by ledburner »

neat idea.
button head next time. :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:00 am neat idea.
button head next time. :grin:
I meant a button head bolt is less likely to chaff. bags. A dap of [edit] Hot glue/ silicon. yould fill out and cover then edges, but a button head holt hold be lighter :grin:
Last edited by ledburner on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I made pretty well the same thing for doing the TNR on my gravel bike except I used an Alpkit Joey instead of the Strapdeck. It worked well, the R&K bracket is an underrated piece of kit, I beefed up the wire that runs under the stem but it wasn't really necessary, no danger of the bracket slipping on rough ground.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Having strapped ( with 2 voile straps ) a drybag with a quilt in (~1kg), my observation is that there is nothing to stop the bag bouncing up and down.

I reckon a bigger scoop is needed if you want the thing pointing forwards rather than down.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A couple of J shape aluminium straps screwed to the Strapdeck would do it, as would a piece of blue plastic barrel cut to shape etc.

I had this mocked up, but never found the right bits - have been looking in scrap bins ever since. I ended up buying a Salsa cradle but at over £100 and 600 grams it isn't a very good solution in my mind.

On another subject, seatpacks.... I did wonder whether the strapdeck would work fixed to saddle rails with voile straps holding the drybag (in suspense). I imagine this would be a really good sway free design. Haven't played with that idea yet.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Richpips wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:38 pm Having strapped ( with 2 voile straps ) a drybag with a quilt in (~1kg), my observation is that there is nothing to stop the bag bouncing up and down.

I reckon a bigger scoop is needed if you want the thing pointing forwards rather than down.
I made a cross between a AK Kanga and a, SweetRoll, it has brace straps on the fork crown and support to stance the C shaped gear cradle. it lighter than Slarges salsa cradle idea.
pictures here.
here's a taster
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

slarge wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:27 pm
I ended up buying a Salsa cradle but at over £100 and 600 grams it isn't a very good solution in my mind.
I have the same, heavier than I'd like, but pretty bombproof.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Have done something very similar with a smaller strapdeck but, for various reasons, haven't tried it out for real.
Will try to post some pictures, soon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Certainly a neat set-up. Not without president though, as that's pretty much how the blackburn outpost handlebar roll works.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/blackburn-outp ... lsrc=aw.ds
I had one but it was fairly heavy and didn't feel good with weight held outward from the bar...
faustus

Post by faustus »

Been pondering ways to make the strapdeck/G-funk either stand off more or act as an adjustable decaleur instead of the restrap bumper I have, which is kind of the wrong length for both my bikes. I realise this does much the same as a cheap handlebar extender thing, but I already have the strapdeck and it's better for strapping things on to, unsurprisingly!

For a decaleur it probably only needs a u-shaped bit of metal, but this is mainly based on what limited stuff I have in the shed. Then I thought about using some old brake adapters like this below. Need some different bolts and washers, but was just mocking it up to see if it worked. Not the prettiest, but solid when done up as the adapters are IS to Post so are M6 threaded. Ideally needs matching adapters! Will give it a try at some point, but suspect a triangulation might be needed with a rack mount brace or similar

Jebb72

Post by Jebb72 »

Nice strapdeck RK Klickfix setup.

I did something similar but made a larger curved plastic backing plate instead of a strapdeck.

I also cut down the RK KF handlebar mount arms to get the whole setup as close to the handlebars (drops) as pos.

One downside is the RK KF uses posi screws to mount to the clips (all plastic inc plastic threads) on the handlebars, I choose not to carry a posi screwdriver in my toolkit on the bike (only short allen keys) but never had to tighten or adjust the RK KF bracket over rough 3 to 4 dayers.

I've thought about retapping the holes in the handlebar clips and adding threaded inserts (similar to helicoil) so the RK KF can be clamped to the bars using allen bolts for better long term reliability, strength and adjustment with allen keys .....Anyone done this yet?