Some bent wire.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Some bent wire.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not exciting at all but I fashioned a short length of spoke into a double hook so I can attach it to the doors of my Gatewood Cape - doing so, will allow me to use either door independently of the other and of the main guy-line, yet still only require a single peg.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Some bent wire.

Post by RIP »

Very nice. Bit more creative than the mini krab I use!

Goes off to find a bit of old wire....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:27 am Goes off to find a bit of old wire....
Stu's is made from a bit of spoke so you could cut a bit out of one of yours? I've always thought that 32 per wheel seemed excessive so one less will be ok :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The Deschutes as two loops of string with prussik knots and a hook for each door - is the Gatewood different?
RIP

Post by RIP »

It's got a schtoopid plastic hook thingy. Not very easy to see in this pic I found, sorry.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Chummy here has done away with the zip completely and replaced it with a sliding door! Looks great in the vid but not entirely convinced - can't open just one door obviously. He reckons it saves 22g - you could take another stove instead and have twin burners :smile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/myog/comments/ ... wood_cape/
Last edited by RIP on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

& this bloke's found a plastic double hook from somewhere. Not as fun as bent wire of course.

https://imgur.com/a/ovYVyxU

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

ZPacks sell a fancy ti version, or they did, I think it might be ally now

I switched the plastic ones out on my Lanshan 2 Pro for the metal version

I like Stu's though, the simplicity is brilliant
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Because if it can be Ti, then why not ;-)

Edit - https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bridg ... pie-hooks/

and sorry about the image size :oops:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

we need Norma, your other ego to demo them.. Norma and her guy and other cape capers in pictures please... :grin: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:31 pm It's got a schtoopid plastic hook thingy. Not very easy to see in this pic I found, sorry.

Ahh that is the same as the deschutes then. If the placcy hook was more hooky they would be fine. Still can't fathom how that hook would replace it though - pics Stuart!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ahh that is the same as the deschutes then. If the placcy hook was more hooky they would be fine. Still can't fathom how that hook would replace it though - pics Stuart!
I find that I don't always run the doors in a direct line with the guy (sometimes it's some distance below the doors). If I attach a line to the round part of the hook as per picture and peg that out, the loops on the bottom of the door just loop onto the hooks. I think that kinda makes sense. In standard trim, the left door must be closed in order to close the right door (I think the design has changed on the later ones) but this way I can choose to have either door open.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:55 pm
I find that I don't always run the doors in a direct line with the guy (sometimes it's some distance below the doors). If I attach a line to the round part of the hook as per picture and peg that out, the loops on the bottom of the door just loop onto the hooks. I think that kinda makes sense. In standard trim, the left door must be closed in order to close the right door (I think the design has changed on the later ones) but this way I can choose to have either door open.
Got you. Might have to have a look at that myself
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bent wire is always interesting and I'm rather enjoying this esoteric thread, quietly buried down in MYOG. I guess that's why after 12 posts it's still on track and not shot off on a tangent about lighthouses or pineapples or something as usual. Still, the night is young.
Got you.
Well I'm all at sea here. My fault not Stu's, but I've lost track of how many lines we've got and which bit's clipped to which other bit. I expect someone could knock up a video or something.

Hopefully it'll end up in the shop soon, purveyed with step by step instructions and free DVD.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully it'll end up in the shop soon
I'm really not sure anyone should part with money in return for some bent spoke :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 pm Bent wire is always interesting and I'm rather enjoying this esoteric thread, quietly buried down in MYOG. I guess that's why after 12 posts it's still on track and not shot off on a tangent about lighthouses or pineapples or something as usual. Still, the night is young.
Got you.
Well I'm all at sea here. My fault not Stu's, but I've lost track of how many lines we've got and which bit's clipped to which other bit. I expect someone could knock up a video or something.

Hopefully it'll end up in the shop soon, purveyed with step by step instructions and free DVD.
Tis an extra peg and bit of guy line, solely for this hook and the doors. I was also thinking you could thread the main guy from the top of the pole through the loop in the hook. You'd then keep the hook pulled down (to tension the front of the tarp) with a short guy onto the main guy peg, if that makes sense.... :???:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 pm I guess that's why after 12 posts it's still on track and not shot off on a tangent about lighthouses or pineapples or something as usual. Still, the night is young.
Pineapples are the devils work,some people actually put them on pizzas, a disgusting perversion :YMSICK:

Yeah the hook and loop arrangement is stupid, I’ve replaced mine with two lengths of shock cord on the doors and a decent sized hook on the cord,I’ve even used different coloured cord so I know which door is which, the shock cord also the guy line placement less critical.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am
Pineapples are the devils work,some people actually put them on pizzas
What, whole ones? I'm pretty partial to a chunk of pineapple now then, but that does seem a bit like too much of a good thing.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:35 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am
Pineapples are the devils work,some people actually put them on pizzas
What, whole ones? I'm pretty partial to a chunk of pineapple now then, but that does seem a bit like too much of a good thing.
Leave fresh pineapple juice on your fingers, then you won't leave any finger prints. Incidentally, pineapple containers an enzyme that digests flesh - thought somewhat slowly.
Ahem, no nefarious nocturnal activities though!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..